• Create Account

Does Time "Fly" When You Program?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2011

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

When you're programming, does time just seem to slip away? I've been programming for 2 hours and it feels like five minutes! All in all, I've spent at least 15 hours programming this week, but it feels like far less time. So for you, does time seem to just "Fly" when you program, or does it inch away slowly? I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

Sponsor:

#2 Drakonka   Members   -  Reputation: 279

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

For me time definitely flies, especially if I'm trying to make something challenging work. Before I know it it's 10 hours later and I really need to go to the bathroom.

#3 NumberXaero   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1457

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, I blink and 3 hours are gone. Dont know why. When something isnt working, its twice as bad.

#4 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3886

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

indeed, i started on what i'd thought would be a smaller section of my game a couple days ago at 10pm, and before i knew it, it was 9am when i was done.
but that occurs all the time, it's not uncommon to hear stuff like: "shit, it's already been another hour"

I think as a programmer(and really this applies to any profession), if your finding time is inching away(which means that your probably staring at the clock all the time), then it's likely programming isn't for you, since your probably not enjoying it.

Edited by slicer4ever, 13 October 2012 - 02:21 AM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#5 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Yes, far too quickly too and I always question "wtf have I done today?", time flies by so quick I actually use 'Timeleft' to remind me when I have to go eat, work out and more importantly sleep, crazy I know but its so easy for me to ermm "turn into a zombie" (as my friends would say).

I guess its because I am having fun

#6 Shaquil   Members   -  Reputation: 819

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Yes, time does fly, and it kind of horrifies me. This summer I went on a week-long coding marathon, and I was disgusted by how inefficient I was. Noticing that 2 hours felt like 5 minutes made me want to make a conscious effort to get more done. But then that mental stress forced me to have to take 5 minute breaks every couple hours haha. So who knows if those breaks ate away a lot of the time I "saved".

#7 shurcool   Members   -  Reputation: 439

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

I think it's related to the phenomenon described in this article:

http://blog.8thlight...ng-So-Hard.html

#8 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1898

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Time flies when I'm coding and I'm in the zone.

Time positively crawls when said code is compiling.

#9 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Once in a great while, I'll make the mistake of coming home during a break or lunch and checking out some code... AAAAND break's over. :(

#10 kseh   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2070

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

I had a theory that the feeling of time flying has something to do with relativity and all the extra electrical activity in the brain. But I disregarded it when it occured to me that it feels like time goes so much slower when you're a kid and they have tons of extra energy.

#11 AlexB.hpp   Members   -  Reputation: 201

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Actually it isn't effective. Yeah it's fun and entertaining but it's your time which you can spend on you friends (ie).

Edward de Bono (wrote many books about creative thinking) wrote in one of his books - limit the time for doing some task. It will grow your skill in creative thinking and effective work level too.

Don't you think so?

Edited by AlexB.hpp, 14 October 2012 - 03:19 PM.

C x 2 C x o C x C f nice C x C s C x C c

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS