• Create Account

C++ % Operator Problem

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Youbar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

Hi, I'm just starting out C++ and decided to have an attempt at making a calculator, probably very crude but it works. Anyway, I'm having a problem with the % operator. This is only a portion of my code, but you'll get the gist:

else if(response == 5) {
	   cout << "Remainder" << endl;
	   cout << "Enter first number: ";
	   cin >> fn;
	   cout << "Enter second number to divide and get remainder: ";
	   cin >> sn;
	   float ovrl = (fn % sn);
	   cout << ovrl << endl;
	   system("PAUSE");
	   goto startagain;
    }

The code returns this error:
invalid operands of types `float' and `float' to binary `operator%'

Full code here:
Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 MrMonkeh   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

I believe the modulus operator (%) only works with integer types. You'll have to convert fn and sn to integer if you want to use it.

Or...a quick search on google and I stumbled upon "fmod". Used like so:
fmod(5.5, 3.5) // takes numerator and denominator
Note: I've never used this function before, so no promises. Though I believe you need to include the math header file to use fmod.

#3 Youbar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

I don't understand the fmod function...but about the converting fn and sn to integers...wouldn't that remove the decimals and round it down?
e.g 1.2 % 5 would return 0.

Edited by Youbar, 12 October 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#4 RulerOfNothing   Members   -  Reputation: 1150

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

fmod is simply a floating point version of the modulus operator. It takes two arguments (the numerator and denominator, in that order) and calculates the remainder like so:
remainder = numerator - quotient * denominator where quotient is an integer and the remainder is less than the denominator.
For example fmod(5.5,3.5) would return 2.

#5 Youbar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

Could you give me an example of how I would apply it to my script please? It's returning errors.Posted Image
Thanks. Posted Image

#6 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12279

2Likes

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

float ovrl = fmodf(fn, sn);

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#7 Youbar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

Thanks, problem solved. Posted Image

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS