• Create Account

IDE or Text Editor For Dynamic Languages

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

Poll: IDE or Text Editor For Dynamic Languages (7 member(s) have cast votes)

IDE or Text Editor For Dynamic Languages?

1. IDE (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Text Editor (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Both (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ryanzec01   Members   -  Reputation: 121

1Likes

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

What do you guys prefer to use when it comes to your daily coding editor, an IDE or a text editor?

I used to always used IDEs like Visual Studio when doing C++/C# and then moved to PHPStorm for my web development. I have always really liked the autocomplete features mainly for parameters preview/hinting. I have been moving towards doing more work with client side technology such as JavaScript, CSS, and HTML. I have recently looked at Sublime Text 2 (because it has syntax highlight support for TypeScript) and was really impressed with it. I really like the fact how fast it is. Loading files and working within files is all really smooth. I also like the fuzzy search for files and within files. Being able to fuzzy search for symbols in a files quickly is really nice. The IDEs I have worked with have some of these features however they are noticeability slower and they don't have all the nice text editing features (like multiple cursors). If I was still using a compiled language, I would probably stick with an IDE just because I don't like dealing with compilers in command like but now that I am dealing with more interpreted and dynamic languages (and even though I might be using SASS/Stylus/TypeScript, those are easy to deal with in the command line) I am starting to think whether the speed and additional text editor features that Sublime Text 2 is better than the auto complete functionality but slower and with less text editing functionality that IDE have. I just wanted to get other peoples experience though I do know that just because one thing works for someone else does not means it works for me.

Sponsor:

#2 dilyan_rusev   Members   -  Reputation: 870

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Except for Javascript, I'd go for the IDE just because of debugging. This is the single greatest reason to use an IDE for a scripting language. If the IDE is good, you will also get good navigation capabilities. For javascript, language debugging is never enough, you need to debug DOM where Firebug and IE's dev tools are invaluable.

#3 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5182

1Likes

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

My toolset includes:

Visual Studio -- my preferred and generally favourite IDE, it's just leagues in front of everything else
WebStorm - it freaking rocks. I think everyone that is doing serious JavaScript work is working in WebStorm, period. It nicely integrates the Chrome/Firefox debuggers, so you can set breakpoints, watches, etc... without leaving the browser.
IntelliJ - It's basically WebStorm, but open source and targeted at Java. I personally use it for Lua development, but it has a number of language plugins
SublimeText - It's just so damned pretty... typing text in SublimeText actually feels... cool. It's my universal "Right click edit with" text editor... it recently supplanted Notepad++ at this task.
Notepad++ - That said, for bulk text editing ( find and replace, re-ordering, sorting, etc... ), N++ is still my goto... it just aint as pretty as Sublime Text
Eclipse - I freaking hate Eclipse, with a passion I can barely describe. It's just a terrible hateful piece of badly designed software... but sadly, it just gets forced down your throat far too often.

I use various other tools as the demand is there ( ZeroBrane for Lua debugging, PlayStation Studio for well, PlayStation studio development, etc... ) but the above are my bread and butter.

To re-iterate one more time, if you are doing JavaScript development and haven't checked out WebStorm, do so, yesterday!

Edited by Serapth, 14 October 2012 - 09:33 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS