• Create Account

Quaternion coordinate axis change

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 BobXIV   Members   -  Reputation: 317

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Hi guys, I’m having problems with an animation that uses quaternions. The problem is that the bones are given to me in the form of quaternions such that:
1) The system is right handed.
2) In particular the example of bone I want to resolve is this:
Posted ImagePosted Image

In my game the corresponding bone frame of reference is left handed. In particular it is:
Posted ImagePosted Image

So the map would be:

from = +Y along arm, +X right, +Z forward
to = -X along arm, -Z right, -Y forward

In resume my problems are:
* The quaternion of the rotation is in a left hand system
* My system is right handed and with different axis

Watching an example I found that the change in the quaternion seems to be:
Where originalRotation is the rotation in the right hand system
myRotation is the rotation in my axis

Quaternion myRotation = new Quaternion(-originalRotation.y, originalRotation.z, originalRotation.x, originalRotation.w);

This seems to work... but I don’t know how to get there.... it is a change of frame of reference with quaternion with a handness change...
Thanks in avance

Edited by BobXIV, 14 October 2012 - 01:40 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3011

0Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

I guess you're an artist?
If so, you should not care. The programmer writing the filter should.
But I suppose that's you anyway.
I converted the quaternion to a matrix and converted the matrix. Not quite The Right Thing but keeps the whole point of encoding a rigid transform, and that was all that I needed.

#3 apatriarca   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1616

1Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

Since you asked, you may be interested in reading how to derive the quaternion corresponding to a different orthonormal reference frame. I assume you know that each rotation in 3D can be represented as a rotation or some angle theta around an axis axis. A unit quaternion representing such rotation is defined as

cos(theta/2) + sin(theta/2)*axis.

In this post I will not use the quaternion representation, but the angle-axis representation with the Rodrigues' rotation formula

R(theta, axis)*v = cos(theta)*v + sin(theta)*cross(axis, v) + (1 - cos(theta))*dot(axis, v)*axis.

Let M be the orthogonal matrix of the change of coordinate from the orthonormal reference frame A to the orthonormal reference frame B, R(thetaA, axisA) the rotation in the reference frame A and R(thetaB, axisB) the corresponding rotation in the reference frame B. Then the rotations should satisfy

R(thetaB, axisB)*M*v = M*R(thetaA, axisA)*v

Since R(thetaA, axisA)*axisA = axisA, then we should have R(thetaB, axisB)*M*axisA = M*R(thetaA, axisA)*axisA = M*axisA. Then M*axisA should be parallel to axisB. In particular, it will be equal to +axisB or -axisB. Let S represent this sign.

Using the Rodrigues' rotation formula we obtain

cos(thetaB)*M*v + sin(thetaB)*cross(axisB, M*v) + (1 - cos(thetaB))*dot(axisB, M*v)*axisB = M*( cos(thetaA)*v + sin(thetaA)*cross(axisA, v) + (1 - cos(thetaA))*dot(axisA, v)*axisA )

We should now clearly have cos(thetaB) = cos(thetaA) which implies (in [-pi, pi]) abs(thetaB) = abs(thetaA). We also have that M*cross(axisA, v) = det(M)*cross(M*axisA, M*v) = S*det(M)*cross(axisB, M*v). Thus, sin(thetaB) = sin(thetaA)*S*det(M). Finally, we have

dot(axisB, M*v)*axisB = dot(axisA, v)*M*axisA = S*dot(M*axisA, M*v)*axisB = (axisB, M*v)*axisB.

We can thus choose S to be either +1 or -1 and then use the equation sin(thetaB) = sin(thetaA)*S*det(M) to fix thetaB accordingly. For example, if we choose S=-1, then sin(thetaA) = sin(thetaB) in your case which implies thetaA = thetaB. If S=+1 was chosen, then sin(thetaA) = -sin(thetaB) and thetaA = -thetaB.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS