• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Student with good Programming skills looking to get started on 2d platformer.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Terabyte88   Members   -  Reputation: 117

1Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Ok I am currently attending collage majoring in computer programming. I have taken many classes for different languages (C#, C++, Java, VB, ActionScript). I have gotten an A in all my programming class and have been studying computer programming since high school.

This has all been an effort to become a game developer. But the job market being what it is (I live in the USA) I have decided that the only way I can make games is if I do it myself. So I searched the net and found this site and have posted this topic in the hopes of some guidance. Maybe some advice on books and articles I should read or some open source code I could use as an example maybe a good compiler or whatever words of wisdom you might have.

I have already decided what type of game to make and what language to do it in along with a few concepts about what the game will look like. It’s going to be a 2d platformer akin to games like Castlevania 4 or Donkey Kong Country. As for the programming language I have decided to write it in Java. In my java class we used TextPad to write the code so I’m thinking I’ll use that but I’m open to suggestions.

Something’s I not sure how I’m going to make. The graphics I’m thinking MS paint or paint.net one idea I have is to use my sister’s digital camera to take pictures and use that as a base. I could also do what Donkey Kong Country did and use 3d models as the base for 2d sprites. As for the music I not sure I know I can use Audacity to edit the sound but as for making it I haven’t figured that out yet.

I’m not looking to make anything fancy here I just want to do the best I can and any help I can get along the way would be appreciated Thank you.Posted Image

Sponsor:

#2 menyo   Members   -  Reputation: 499

1Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Use eclipse to write your java.

I use 3D studio max to make 3D models, i bought 2009 3 years ago for just a fraction of what they ask. Blender however is free.

The gimp is free photo editor like photoshop. I use photoshop though, it is really worth the money!

I bought fruityloops like 10 years ago, it is a good program to make music and sound effects.

As for every program, it are just tools. It takes years to learn how to work with them properly. If you dont have drawing skills, photoshop wont help you a bit. If you can not make melodies on a piano then fruity loops wont help since it is just a ultra advanced piano+drum computer.

Edited by menyo, 15 October 2012 - 02:13 PM.

Current Project: TechnoFlux read all about it on my

DEV BLOG

#3 Terabyte88   Members   -  Reputation: 117

0Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Started learning my way around eclipse one thing I’m trying to do is get my code to run outside of eclipse (having players download eclipse just to run a game would be odd) any ideas on how to make that work. I’ve been experimenting with jar files but no luck.

#4 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1587

0Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Started learning my way around eclipse one thing I’m trying to do is get my code to run outside of eclipse (having players download eclipse just to run a game would be odd) any ideas on how to make that work. I’ve been experimenting with jar files but no luck.

Your players need to have a JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed on their computer to run your java programs, jar or not. They can either download jre themselves, or you can pack your custom jre together with the game.

Edited by ultramailman, 15 October 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#5 DeveloperJazz   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hey, I have a few suggestions for some of the questions you may have. I too have learnt various programming languages while at university.

For graphics, you could look at various Sprite sheet editor programs out there, such as ASEPRITE for example. I use this program extensivly and even gives you the options to make sprite sheets, onion skin drawing and grids etc.

For music, if you wish to attempt it yourself, its a big step, but I started making music by learning how to use Music Trackers, look up List of Audio Trackers, they are quite handy to help getting you started, even by just using generated pitches of noise.

For programming, I havnt made any games in Java specifically, but I hope these little suggestions give you some help.

Best of luck!

ActionScript 3.0 and C# Games Programmer of 3 years. 

#6 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3167

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

That's good to see you getting your formal education. I read that you have some experience in several languages. Still in school, you must budget your time. Money is probably a consideration, too. My advice here reflects these.

Okay, because of all that I recommend that you choose a game engine:
http://en.wikipedia....of_game_engines

"Do it myself" game development means that you want to be an indie game developer - correct? Making programs which are games is somewhat different than what you learned in Uni. Your classes helped, so now you use your base to focus on programming with games in mind. This means object oriented, class files, and compiled core for performance.

Java is slower natively than others like C, so you will need to look at pre-compiling ( just in time compilation ), class file structures for performance, and runtime optimizations. The 2D games are ideal for these things.Posted Image

If you make implementations using MonoDevelop, then you will streamline framework runtime issues through Windows systems. This will open things such as user interface and audio system design to you more easily because the community has these in place and great support for it. Crossplatform is available, too, with MonoDevelop. The MD gaming communities can help you with their suggestions and information.

As for art assets, being that college is your home away from home (Posted Image ), why not look for graphics art students through social networking who would be eager for the opportunity? They could help you understand the systems in an exchange for you giving them experience. There are many 2D art assets which are no cost, open license works. Some sound and music works are, too. The artist forum here at gamedev can help a lot. I recommend letting other people do as much of the research and work as possible until you are able to handle the art work yourself. You will learn faster, get more done, and make a network around you in game development. Posted Image

Short term before you make art, you should make several simple games with existing art assets for practice. It's game making time, now! Posted Image

Middle term you need to create your personal game development environment, making contacts, using existing technology and art, and establishing fundamental game structure.

Long term you will need to be the leader of your game development work environment, of course, and likely need other people in your team. Indy does not mean alone! Indy means independent! Posted Image Game engine stage would be long term.

Do some research, start making games very soon, and have fun with it! Things will get clearer very soon if you do! Posted Image

Clinton

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 16 October 2012 - 01:02 PM.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#7 Animate2D   Members   -  Reputation: 182

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

• Use eclipse as your java IDE
  • Use WiEngine which has a copious 20,000 lines of example code
  • Prototype in Java but ultimately use C++ or LUA for cross platform development
  • If you chose WiEngine your game can be available on Mac OSX, iOS, Windows, and Android and C++ or LUA script will work on all.
  • If your game has intricate 2D animations you may want to try Animate2D, which I just published today on google play.
I hope this is helpful to you, and I wish you all the luck.

http://blog.wiyun.com/

http://animate2d.blogspot.com

https://play.google....mFuaW1hdGUyZCJd

https://www.wiyun.com

I use google translate to read the website and blog. Answers are in code which is written in english.

Edited by Animate2D, 16 October 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#8 Animate2D   Members   -  Reputation: 182

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Actually I think WiEngine has 40,000 lines of examples. I think there are 20,000 lines of java and 20,000 lines of C++ examples not including .h files. If you are learning I think that is the one to go with.

I started digging into this stuff myself this summer and made it to the finish line without exhausting my savings in between gigs. I started a few games at first and decided to scrap the idea for a bigger idea. So my whole summer has not been devoted to my recently published app. I learn though that going from prototype to published product is almost that factor of three the author of Mythical Man Month describes. For me it was a factor of two.

For the bigger idea, I needed a tool that would create smooth animation loops without flipping through textures. So I figured cutout style animation was the way to go. You are not going to get smooth animation at 60 fps flipping through PNG textures because you'll run out of space on the device way before you have enough content for a reasonably sized game. So in one sense my program is a stepping stone to get me to another point which is to develop the kind of game I want to create on a mobile platform. A more adventure and exploration oriented game with puzzle levels so to speak.

Now originally I wrote the app in C++ on iOS. The reason Xcode is for the most part a great C++ IDE and getting comfortable with C++ again I wanted the incremental realtime checks that Xcode offers without the hassle.

But when it comes to getting the app published, with apple you will wait 1 and 1/2 to 2 weeks for them to maybe reject your app which happened to my Lite version but the paid version they provided no crash log and said none was produced (hummmm?????). But it was rejected too based on the icon and app store artwork not suitable in their minds for 4+.

Jack be nimble Jack be quick, Jack port that code to Android quick.... I suspected I would be able to port to android faster than it would take to have apple to look at the build again. Thus in less than a week the application is ported to Android and published on google play.

If it weren't for the custom file IO I was doing which was outside the box of what the WiEngine framework offered, this could have been completed even faster.
But still this is an accomplishment none the less.

In general for game development, you want to stay as close to the metal as reasonably possible because you never know when you will need to go deep to get that effect you're looking for. But not all games require this. It's my personal preference.

Edited by Animate2D, 16 October 2012 - 10:06 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS