• Create Account

C++ Compiler and IDE

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler_Shelby   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

What's a good C++ compiler and IDE? I hear GNU is good but I'd prefer to hear some of your opinions. Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

3Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Well, IDE's normally come with compilers, and using a specific compiler probably won't matter to you.

Visual Studio -- Good debugger, Intellisense is great for working with classes / functions. I definitely recommend it, it's what I use now.

Code::Blocks -- Has an Intellisense-like property, and fills in a lot of stuff for you (Automatically puts in brackets / parenthesis) In my use it had a lot of good features, however linking it with libraries is a pain. I switched to Visual C++ from this. I believe this IDE is great for beginners, however when you get into using lots of libraries, more advanced programs, debugging, Visual Studio is the way to go.

Xcode -- Never used, but if you're on a mac I've heard it's the best.

Edited by superman3275, 15 October 2012 - 08:51 PM.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#3 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19665

6Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

GNU isn't a C++ compiler. GNU is a organization that makes a C++ compiler called "GCC".
GCC isn't natively on Windows but the MinGW project is a port (among other things) of GCC.

What operating system are you running? If Linux, GCC is probably the way to go.

Clang is new (an Apple-backed opensource project), but growing and looks like it'll be great. However, it's Windows support seems to be lacking (last I checked, anyways).

Microsoft's C++ compiler and their IDE is really good. (Microsoft Visual Studio) Windows only.

I personally use QtCreator with GCC... except GCC isn't for Windows, so I have to use the Windows port of it, called "MinGW".
I really like QtCreator. QtCreator is for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Code::Blocks is another IDE. I think it also uses MinGW by default.

Compilers: GCC/MinGW, Clang, <Visual Studio's compiler>
IDEs: Visual Studio, QtCreator, Code::Blocks

I recommend Visual Studio if you only intend to use Windows, or QtCreator if you intend to go cross-platform.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 15 October 2012 - 09:04 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#4 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18723

1Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

I recommend Visual Studio if you only intend to use Windows, or QtCreator if you intend to go cross-platform.

Seconded. Code::Blocks is also pretty good.

#5 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4420

0Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

One good thing about Code::Blocks is that by default it supports a ton of compilers, besides its pretty fast.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#6 derda4   Banned   -  Reputation: 147

0Likes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

I'm very happy with Eclipse.

#7 Ripiz   Members   -  Reputation: 529

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

Personally I'm using Visual Studio 2012 and I believe it's best what you can get on Windows.

#8 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5182

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

GCC isn't natively on Windows but the MinGW project is a port (among other things) of GCC.

I think you mean "the native port of GCC for Microsoft Windows is called MinGW". GCC isn't "for" any particular target, I used it on VAX/VMS and Atari TOS long before Linux, Mac OS X, or Microsoft Windows came along. The only time it's non-native is when it's a cross compiler -- and MinGW is actually available on Linux for building Windows apps with, if yuo're in to pain.
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#9 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19665

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yes, that's sortof what I meant, though I phrased it poorly. What I meant to say is that the GCCprojectdoesn't provide native binaries of the GCC compiler for Windows (Windows as a host), but that the MinGW project provides native binaries of the GCC compiler for Windows, and also that the MinGW project provides more than just the GCC compiler (it includes some other GNU tools (binutils), and optionally MSYS as well).
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#10 MichaBen   Members   -  Reputation: 481

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

For the code editor abilities QtCreator is probably one of the bests I came across so far, it's syntax highlighting, code completion and automatic formatting are pretty advanced and I have yet to see Visual Studio reach this level of editor. However it is lacking a bit when it comes to debugging and specially to managing larger projects, probably as it was originally designed to be used for GUI development, and not for large scale game engine development. Code::Blocks and Visual Studio have a nicer project configuration dialog to setup various settings, but the code editor is less advanced.

#11 Tyler_Shelby   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Thanks guys!

#12 HuffinPuffin   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Netbeans is nice and clear, good for beginners: http://netbeans.org/

#13 Myriddal   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Dev c++ is an alternative

#14 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18723

1Likes

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Dev c++ is an alternative

The original Bloodshed Dev-C++ is horribly outdated and broken, and there are a number of good reasons it should never be used. It's ridden with bugs that will never be fixed, it lacks features, and it's not supported. It can also be difficult simply getting it to run on more recent operating systems.

There are however two different updated versions that are alright to use -- they still wouldn't be my choice, but I can't really fault them in any major way apart from the fact that using a relatively unpopular IDE means reduced help and support.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS