• Create Account

Artist and Programer ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 greenzone   Members   -  Reputation: 672

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

So I recently graduated with a masters in architecture. I started getting into programing about 2 years ago. Shortly after I realized that I have had a deep passion for video games all of my life. And I want more then anything to either develop my own or work at a place that makes video games. With that said I want to ask our community two questions.

First, seeing that i really have a passion for righting code and a degree in making geometry and space would it be possible to make apps by myself. I have already set up a small game engine using C++, openGL, and PhysX. I can also with this engine port any game assets that i make in 3dsMax.

Second, if every one thinks perhaps that doing both is just to ridiculous then after looking at my blog of school projects do you think that I might be able to contribute to the game making community at least as a level designer? I know that people go to school specifically for this but I am willing to do some extra work to fill my portfolio with the proper elements if necessary. I just wish I realized how much I love Idea of building games earlier in life. I just never thought about it as a possibility or something that is tangible. so i will post a link to my blog and if you could look at it and just from the geometry that i made do you think I could learn to make video game assets for a game company. Thanks

MyBlog

Oh and I made the buildings and renderings any 3d scale figures are all produced by others.

Edited by greenzone, 16 October 2012 - 10:05 AM.

J-GREEN

Greenpanoply

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10178

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

1. So I recently graduated with a masters in architecture. I started getting into programing about 2 years ago.
2. would it be possible to make apps by myself.
3. do you think that I might be able to contribute to the game making community at least as a level designer?

1. Then you should try level design.
2. Yes, anything is possible.
3. Yes. Level design. Read the FAQs (go back out to the Breaking In forum page).
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 greenzone   Members   -  Reputation: 672

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

LOL WOW I did not see the FAQs at the top there. I also see after looking at it my post again after reading some of the FAQs there should be all kinds of red striking through much of it. Sorry about that I will thoroughly read through the FAQ before posting again.

thanks

Edited by greenzone, 16 October 2012 - 10:10 AM.

J-GREEN

Greenpanoply

#4 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3167

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Nice head start you have there. Your scenes look way cool! Posted Image

1) Make simple games to understand game structure. Your programming experience leaves you with the need to reform to a game development system, beginning with simple games.

2) Focus on shaders, textures, brush strokes, and baking. Instead of rendering, expand into rasterization. The 3D is going well for you.

3) Research, research, research. So you stay enthusiastic in your work, you will need to prepare for bottlenecks like art file format compatibility issues or custom game user interfaces.

4) Many game making tools are not used in architecture, so you need to aquire them and perhaps make a few, too.

5) Long term you are going to need understanding of performance coding and game optimization because your art assets - thanks to your talents - will demand it some day.Posted Image

Clinton

Edited by 3Ddreamer, 16 October 2012 - 03:56 PM.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS