• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

Multiple Lights, adding dot product?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 OmarShehata   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

I know there are a lot of topics asking about multiple lights, but I just have one simple question that I can't seem to find the answer to.

So in order to support multiple lights, I loop over the lights, and add together the intensities of each light source (and things like color etc..)

Now the only thing I'm having trouble with, is how to handle the dot product. I tried adding the dot products, but that just makes the two light sources sort of merge into each other, and when they are far apart the object is completely dark.

How do I handle the angle/dot product for multiple lights? (I'm not sure if code is needed to answer the question, if so I'll upload my shader code).

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor:

#2 Butabee   Members   -  Reputation: 238

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

What I'm doing in the engine I'm working on is calculating each different type of light value seperately... so like GI and diffuse...

Then I just add then together at the end in this form (lighta * basecolor) + (lightb * basecolor);

#3 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14447

2Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

The dot product is part of the lighting model.
Each lighting model should be done separately and then added together.

Taking a very basic Lambertian diffuse component on 2 lights, the proper way to combine them would be:
((Light0Color * max( Light0DotNormal, 0.0 )) + (Light1Color * max( Light1DotNormal, 0.0 ))) * DiffuseMaterial.

Simple pseudo-code would be:
vec4 diffuseLight = vec4( 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 );
for ( int I = 0; I < lights; I++ ) {
	diffuseLight += lightingModel( I );    // Performs L·N as part of the lighting model for light index I.
}
finalColor.xyz = diffuseMaterial.xyz * diffuseLight.xyz;

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 16 October 2012 - 04:45 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS