• Create Account

Shader problems

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnomgrol   Members   -  Reputation: 577

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hello, I got a problem with shaders.
When other people try to start my directxprogramms, they crash at the shadercompilation.
When I change the shaderversion to 5_0 or 2_0 (currently 4_0), it crashes the programm completly for myself also. And it seems like here lies the problem for other people too, since the one with the best graphicscard can run the programm, the others can't.

It seems like I need some more information on how to choose the correct shaderversion for each PC. How can I do that and what is causing this problem in my case?

Edited by gnomgrol, 16 October 2012 - 01:22 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Muzzy A   Members   -  Reputation: 622

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

does your vertex shader inputs match your vertex declarations? I had the same crash issue once before, turned out it was because of non matching vertex parameters

#3 gnomgrol   Members   -  Reputation: 577

0Likes

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

yes, they do match completly

#4 kauna   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2277

0Likes

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

Well, choosing the right shader model may not be that easy, since not all the shaders can be compiled with a lower level shader model.

And if they can be compiled with a lower level model, why not use it then? It used to be recommeded to use the lowest shader model level which works.

However, you'll need to see which shader models are supported by your friends machine and if they are too low, then you may either say "sorry, my program won't support that shader model level" or you may write an alternative shader for low level hardware.

Programs won't typically crash if error's are handled correctly. So add error handling to your shader loading code and see what is the exact error. Shader compiling functions give very very precise information on the error.

Otherwise, if you and your friends are using Windows Vista or later, you should be ok with Shader Model 4 which is pretty good already.

Cheers!

Edited by kauna, 17 October 2012 - 06:18 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS