• Create Account

OpenGL ES (2.0) In A Day? Possible?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

I realize that this is a far fetched and naive question, but I will ask it anyway (no shame!).

I am myself a fairly competent programmer (using C), who is also familiar with computer graphics principles. I am not familiar with OpenGL, however. I want to learn and learn how to use the OpenGL ES functions, data types, etc., except I don't have any time frame on how long this should take. I have the OpenGL ES 2.0 specification, the quick reference card, and the OpenGL ES 2.0 Programming Guide book (gold book). If I start on any particular day at a time like 4 or 5 in the morning and continue (with proper breaks) until a time like midnight, learning these things and putting them into practice, do you think I could at least get a rudimentary understanding of the API? How many of these days do you think it would take to learn to the point of making something worth making? I am a quick learner, by the way.

About the question and how stupid it may be:
I AM SO VERY, VERY SORRY

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Sponsor:

#2 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2719

1Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

Thats kind of impossible to tell, without knowing you, and also without knowing what you would consider a rudimentary understanding.
If you already know how 3d graphics works in general, and is experienced in reading documentation, I'd say you can pick up GLES in a few hours.
GLES 2.0 is really quite streamlined.

But you might be disappointed how low level it is, and how much code you need on top of it before you can do much interesting things Posted Image
The difficult thing isn't really the API, but the 3d theory, lightning models, linear algebra, the computer science needed to write good data structures feeding the API, and things like that.

But wouldn't it be more effective to just try do it and see how far you get?
It's just a day, are you afraid you are going to waste it or something?
Never a waste to learn about new things you are interested in.

Edited by Olof Hedman, 18 October 2012 - 01:42 AM.

#3 larspensjo   Members   -  Reputation: 1526

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

No need to be sorry for the question, this forum is full of people that starts out without even thinking the way you do!

To make a professional application without support from someone that already has the experience, I would say several months. I would never believe a programmer that spent a month learning OpenGL that claims he can now lead development of a real application.

OpenGL is very complex, and the documentation is not at all helpful for beginners. Best is to start with a good tutorial, like http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/. You will learn MUCH more from this tutorial than you will from the specifications. Of course, you should have the specifications beside you, and check up every new function as they come.

Just one example: Many beginners accidently starts with the Legacy OpenGL, and have to make a restart after a couple of weeks. This would be a disaster for a OpenGL ES2 project.
Current project: Ephenation.
Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/

#4 Toothpix   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 810

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

I already have programming experience and understand 3D computer graphics, I just have no OpenGL API experience.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

#5 larspensjo   Members   -  Reputation: 1526

1Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

I think the following simple "one-page" tutorial is good: http://antongerdelan.net/opengl2/hellotriangle.html
Current project: Ephenation.
Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS