• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

HLSL Shadow Shader Issue

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 _undex   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi folks,

I try to implement a simple shadow shader in my project. The shadow map and the basic shader works fine.
When I get to the shadow shader itself, i get a weird issue. When I want to transform the position in the vertex shader with the light view-projection matrix, i get only x and y values. The z and w values are always 1. But when I transform the position with the camera view-projection I get some z and w values. This is my test code for my issue. The output color is always white, which however must be gray, as the values in the shadow map are also gray:

[source lang="hlsl"]float4x4 View;float4x4 Projection;float4x4 ProjectionLight;float4x4 ViewLight;texture2D tex;SamplerState textureSampler{ Filter = MIN_MAG_MIP_LINEAR; AddressU = Wrap; AddressV = Wrap;};struct VS_IN{float4 pos : POSITION;float2 texpos : TEXCOORD;float3 normal : NORMAL;}; struct PS_IN{float4 pos : SV_POSITION;float4 Light : POSITION;float2 texpos : TEXCOORD0;float3 normal : NORMAL;float4 pos3D : TEXCOORD1;};void VShader(in VS_IN input, out PS_IN output){ float4 p = input.pos; output.pos = mul(p, mul(View, Projection)); output.texpos = input.texpos; output.normal = input.normal; output.Light = mul(p, mul(ViewLight,ProjectionLight)); output.pos3D = p;}float4 PShader(PS_IN input) : SV_Target{ float4 l = input.Light; return l.z / l.w;}technique10 Simple{ pass Main { SetGeometryShader(0); SetVertexShader(CompileShader(vs_5_0, VShader())); SetPixelShader(CompileShader(ps_5_0, PShader())); }}[/source]

I tried everything to get this work. I hope someone can help me.

Sorry for my perhaps bad english

Sponsor:

#2 _undex   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

Some more informations:

I ran that code in PIX, and I saw that my vertex shader calculates the "Light" value (for all 4 values) write.
When it comes to my pixel shader, it seems like all my values exept "pos" was reseted.
But I still don't know where my fault is.

#3 _undex   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Solved :D

I saw in PIX that the z value of "pos" is 10 times smaller than the value of it in the vertex shader (Don't ask me. I don't know why)
So I add a new variable to my shadow map pixel shader input struct, where i save the "real" depth values of the pixel and it's solved :D
It seems like these values are not 0, they are only 10 times smaller than the "pos" value.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS