• Create Account

Simple game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hello gamedev community !

I just want to ask if someone knows a simple 2D(3D too complicate ,right?) game and free source in Java where i can make mods for it.
Because it is preatty hard for me to concep all the mechanics are made in a game so i want to learn in this way how the things are going on.
If you know a better way say it Posted Image thanks for reading !

Edited by vladmihail, 18 October 2012 - 11:37 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 greenvertex   Members   -  Reputation: 510

8Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Everyone starts with pong... Just do that. Trust me, there's really no magic going on behind the scenes here. Rarely are there bits of arcane knowledge to be gained by looking at others' code for simple stuff. You'll learn a lot more by doing yourself than you will by watching someone else do.

#3 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Thanks you for the replay but i think i need to move to the next level Posted Image

Edited by vladmihail, 18 October 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#4 greenvertex   Members   -  Reputation: 510

7Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Then do something more complicated than pong, the general advice still stands. The amount of material I've picked up through writing code far outweighs the amount gained by reading it...

#5 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

11Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Here's what I would do:
  • Pong
  • Breakout
  • Space Invaders (credit to GearSlayer360)
  • Missile Command
  • Asteroids
  • Tetris
  • Pac-Man
  • Tic-Tac-Toe (credit to 3Ddreamer)
  • ????
  • Make Money
Posted Image

Most importantly, those mechanics are known well-enough that you should be able to code those from scratch. You should not be looking for code for those games ... to mod.

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 21 October 2012 - 02:17 AM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#6 vladmihail   Members   -  Reputation: 310

1Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks you guys for all the replays!

#7 Gearslayer360   Members   -  Reputation: 169

6Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

You could also do space invaders. That seems to be popular and there's plenty of help online if you get stuck.

#8 Tasaq   Members   -  Reputation: 1176

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Everyone starts with pong... Just do that. Trust me, there's really no magic going on behind the scenes here. Rarely are there bits of arcane knowledge to be gained by looking at others' code for simple stuff. You'll learn a lot more by doing yourself than you will by watching someone else do.

I started with fully 3D side scrolling plane shooter game in C++ with openGL (something like Einhander). I did it from scratch and it even got couple of shaders there :)
I know how stupid it may sound... It wasn't my idea though :D (I had to do it).

I agree with person above, the real very first game I did was something like space invaders, It got basic logic so I also suggest you to try that :)

#9 Gearslayer360   Members   -  Reputation: 169

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Pong is a great starting point. It is very straight forward and no real surprises. Just basic movement and collision detection. Space Invaders seems like a logical progression, but as Alpha mentioned, any of those games would be a great place to go as well.

#10 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

You could also do space invaders. That seems to be popular and there's plenty of help online if you get stuck.

True. That's probably a game one should do right after Breakout. They are similar in some respects.

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 18 October 2012 - 03:28 PM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#11 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2977

2Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Here's what I would do:

• Pong
  • Breakout
  • Space Invaders (credit to GearSlayer360)
  • Asteroids
  • Tetris
  • Pac-Man
  • ????
  • Make Money
Posted Image

Most importantly, those mechanics are known well-enough that you should be able to code those from scratch. You should not be looking for code for those games ... to mod.

Add Tic-Tac-Toe which is wonderful and under-rated. Make this in your first couple games.

As you make each of these games, look for ways to improve each one. Don't just get them functioning and move to the next, but really develop it. For example, improved physics, artificial intelligence, color changing events (indicates something changed), obstacles, and so forth.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#12 Attronis   Members   -  Reputation: 131

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Not to speak to the contrary of most assuredly a more experienced programmer, but for beginners really looking to tackle their first project (I do speak from experience here) it can sometimes be overwhelming "putting the pieces together." I've found that it can help to look at the way other people have structured their programs, or ways in which in they manage their data, etc. However, one would be well advised to look for example code that is not more complicated than you are ready to digest. Also, you're looking to glean ideas here, not foundations; you will learn very little if you "core" a program and decorate it to suit.

Edited by Attronis, 19 October 2012 - 08:16 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS