• Create Account

Logo feedback - Ninja Cat and Zombie Dinosaurs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hey guys, I'm making a flash game for internet (2d, not the typical casual), and here is first logo project in three versions, which differ mainly in font use.

I'd love to get your feedback on the general quality of logo, as well as which font combination looks best to you. Thanks!

Arial:
Posted Image

Lithos:
Posted Image

Hobo:
Posted Image

PS as for the game, you are ninja cat, who's fighting with zombie dinosaurs ;) in a way similiar to (spoiler alert) Typing of the Dead.

Sponsor:

#2 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3535

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I would ditch the sword. It clashes heaviliy, and it's poorly cropped.

#3 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hehe, thanks for fast reply, and because I still have PS opened...

Posted Image

I agree that katana doesn't look like the rest of logo, it's different. Without it, for me, logo looks rather montonous (obviously now I could differ colors and texture of text). Also katana visually showed the ninja part of the game, just as claw footsteps are showing cat and dino.

#4 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3535

1Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

It only looks monotonous because you used someone's font instead of drawing your own logo up. Arial is for writing up documents, not making ninja cat game logos. So you don't have a logo, you have 2 lines of plain text.

Give Ninja Cat his own logo, with a drawn image, then put a vs Zombie Dinosaurs in it's own stylized glyph.

#5 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6568

1Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

You can try to add some color gradient, you know the industry standard (orange-blue). Make the ZDs more like red, maybe some blood on the dino claw and add dark night blue to the ninja cats, maybe adding a ninja mask on a letter. And change the "and" to "vs" to hint a conflict ?

#6 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

Arial is very similiar to Helvetica, which is used to create logos all around the world. I'm not sure Daaark what you mean by "give ninja his own logo, with drawn image". More stylized fonts are explored in the third version (with a sword). I don't really have time to play with hand created caligraphy, as a sole programmer, designer, artist and businessman on this project, I'm going with shortcuts in many areas, that's why I want to use existing font. I like the shape of letters from above images, and their not plain thanks to bazillion of effects Posted Image it's just the same color scheme used all around without any accents makes it dull and boring (hence katana was born).

Thanks Ashaman, I'll try with "industry standard colors" Posted Image and differentiate with color. "And to vs" - I was thinking about that for some time, I think "and" is more open to interpretation and brings more curiosity (ninja cat and zombie dinosaurs - what they're gonna do, play doctor?), while "vs" is clearly conflict.

Any other comments, ideas and suggestions? Oh, and to clear things up: I'm not going for *perfect* logo, which makes everyone drool. I just need a good enough one.

Edited by Koshmaar, 19 October 2012 - 04:50 AM.

#7 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3535

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'm not sure Daaark what you mean by "give ninja his own logo, with drawn image

I mean kill off the arial, and use the vector drawing tools to draw up a nice, proper, logo.

#8 Drakken255   Members   -  Reputation: 173

1Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

I think what Daaark is saying is a game logo is not going to be good with just a text layer. You need to manually DRAW the text to give it more style. Make a logo focusing solely on Ninja Cat, then it's safe to add "VS. Zombie Dinosaurs" as a subtitle. I suggest a cat in the background, also manually drawn. Maybe with a sword splitting a letter in half? It all boils down to originality. Give it your own touch. Don't use pre-made graphics, not even fonts. Not unless it fits perfectly, and you have the creator's permission.

#9 MA-Simon   Members   -  Reputation: 230

1Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Regarding your three fonts, I think "Lithos" looks the best here. Though I don't like the font... but I know what look you are aiming for.

But anyway. I had a few minutes and made some doodles. (Which are obviously in a komplete different style, but I didn't want to put them into my trash can either.)

ninjacat.png

#10 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

3Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

Wow guys, thanks for all the feedback you gave! Doodles :)

Thanks to your ideas, I created this:

Posted Image

Which IMHO looks much better then the first ones. I didn't go with the custom "fonts" yet, first wanted to nail the colors, but I think I'll do sth with ninja font only, zombie for me looks good enough. Also, I will make the blood splash more realistic by using smaller droplets and more color variations, currently I have resolution dependence due to outline filter.

I'm waiting for your comments Posted Image

PS lesson learned: disable Flux while designing, only now I see how washed away it was.

#11 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 16994

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

That's looking much more interesting! Posted Image

#12 MA-Simon   Members   -  Reputation: 230

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

The new green Dino font looks really good!

#13 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hehe, thanks, it's true crimes, can be downloaded from here http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/True-Crimes and from what I've read, it's completely free, also for commercial purposes.

#14 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3535

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Actually, it says you have to contact the author's agent: http://www.waltervelezart.com/fonts.html

FontSquirrel is just being lazy about it, and possibly illegally hosting them to begin with.

New Logo looks much nicer though.

#15 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

1Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

Ups, don't believe what they say on the internets.

Posted Image

Another version, with partly inspired partly custom ninja font:

Posted Image

IMHO looks better still, but perhaps could be better? How? I looked at it so much, I don't see anything objectively anymore. Perhaps change composition, more elements like shuriken/katana, less stuff, lighting, different contrast or brightness, richer texture, do something with the footprints, less flashy efects or on contrary etc.

I'm asking just for completness, other than that I think logo is good enough and moving to other areas.

Edited by Koshmaar, 22 October 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#16 DaveTroyer   Members   -  Reputation: 1052

2Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I think that second logo with the more script like "Ninja Cat" is pretty dang good. Posted Image

But, maybe the dino foot print is a lil' big. It draws the eye to the right quite a bit because of it's size and the bright green. If you play around with it a little, I'm sure you'll find a perfect balance.

Aside from that, having a raster graphic isn't too bad as long as you make it fairly large, but having a vector version will help with scale-ability when you're marketing your game. (Just so you can scale up without a ton of jaggy edges and pixels.)

All that being said, I think it's looking good! You're on the right track!Posted Image

Edited by DaveTroyer, 22 October 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

#17 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6568

0Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Ahh... much better.
But I would be careful about the color you choose. Most dominant are the dinos and 'AND' and the cats are just background. Use some more color, here's a little paint over attempt:

Attached Thumbnails

• test2.jpg

#18 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3535

0Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

You shoudl make the Ninja Cat part in reddish orange, as it will compliment the color green in the zombie part, and they will make each other pop.

#19 Koshmaar   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I scaled down dino foot, added slight blueish tint to cat, made other many small tiny improvements. I played with more colors, nothing come out of that. It's good enough for me, I'm done with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks again! You're gonna be in credits :)

Edited by Koshmaar, 24 October 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#20 Prinz Eugn   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 3505

0Likes

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

I think it looks great, much better than the earlier iterations.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS