• Create Account

Lambda Spectral Path Tracer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8264

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Physically based spectral path tracer written in C++, still largely a work in progress but quite functional as illustrated above. The image features physically correct Fresnel-weighted refractions and reflections as well as diffuse interreflection ("color bleeding").

This path tracer uses an optimized bounding volume hierarchy to accelerate ray tracing, allowing it to support scenes well into the tens of millions of objects with only a logarithmic performance hit. Another feature is the easy integration of scalable multithreading, thanks to OpenMP.

The code is available for free at github under the MIT license.

Feedback and/or contributions are very welcome!

Click here to view the iotd

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

Sponsor:

#2 Amr0   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

2Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

Looks great! How long did it take to render this image?

#3 Schrompf   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 950

2Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

I second: this looks impressive! What's the render time for this image?
----------
Gonna try that "Indie" stuff I keep hearing about. Let's start with Splatter.

#4 Florent 974   Members   -  Reputation: 134

1Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

being spectral, I suppose it support dispersion ? it would be great if you'd put a screenshot of a prism or diamond exhibiting this feature. Any plan to port it to GPU ? (cuda, openCL or direct compute)

#5 taby   Members   -  Reputation: 335

1Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, that's pretty epic.

#6 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8264

4Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hello, thanks guys Posted Image the render time for this one was 12h34m5s, mainly because of the amount of glass involved (the BRDF's aren't very optimized as of now). Those without glass take a more reasonable 2-4 hours to render.

But that's with unidirectional path tracing, I predict I will need much less samples when I get around to implementing bidirectional path tracing.

Florent, indeed the tracer supports dispersion, however, dispersion is only visible with very small light sources (otherwise dispersion occurs all over the place and the result is a net white), which standard path tracing has trouble sampling. However I really want to do such an image as soon as BDPT is up.

As for GPU support, it would be difficult, mainly because of the amount of abstraction in the code which doesn't map well to GPU. I think it would be doable in CUDA because of all the extra features, however I don't have an nVidia graphics card. An interesting idea to keep in mind though.

I added a new render (the previous, low-resolution version took 2h27m49s)

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

#7 taby   Members   -  Reputation: 335

0Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

Ahh ffs. That -1 was an accident.

#8 Anonymous Poster_Guest_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Impressive. How about making a 5 minute fully rendered video in 3D?

Just kidding :))

#9 Anonymous Poster_Guest_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Very nice!
Great work.

Look forward to see more :)
Good luck!

#10 kubera   Members   -  Reputation: 885

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

So realistic.

#11 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2119

2Likes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Amazing!!!

So, could you get a rainbow by shooting a ray of light through a prism?

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#12 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8264

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

@slayemin: Essentially, yes. But there are some problems, in particular the light beam must be very small to clearly see the rainbow, and since right now the path tracer only supports forward rendering (from the eye) it is too difficult to deal with small light source. Using bidirectional path tracing, it will work (when I get time to implement it).

#13 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2119

1Likes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

The other fun part is decomposing light into its components so that you can apply Snells law of refraction. It's would increase your rendering time by a lot, but that can be alleviated by running mulitple threads or distributing the render jobs across multiple computers.

When I wrote my proof of concept, I defined light as a series of wavelengths and then looped through each wavelength and matched it to a color table. Thus, you could have pure white light, use chemical light sources like an argon, neon, or sodium, and simulate the spectral diffusion. Cool stuff! I can send you details if you're interested.

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#14 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8264

0Likes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

@slayemin: it's what the code is doing, actually Posted Image the color-matching curve is in cie.cpp and for each sample I iterate over every wavelength in the visible range at 5nm intervals.

#15 Anonymous Poster_Guest_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Looks very good. :) How many samples did you use for those images? Hours seems a tad long, even for those BRDFs; are you using explicit light paths? How many rays/s?

#16 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8264

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

@Guest: 512/1024 samples were used for each of those, and each sample includes 81 wavelength samples. I do not use explicit light paths yet (which explains the high sample count), only implicit ones. As for rays per second, I never really measured them, it really only makes sense when you are targetting realtime I guess, but you can measure it from the time taken. For instance for the cup picture, I averaged approximately 1.15M rays/s (i.e. ~300k per thread). Not very optimized yet..

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS