• Create Account

alternative libraries for dx11 contexts

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adam West   Members   -  Reputation: 219

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hey there,

I was wondering if there are any other window libraries that are usable with directx 11. I know sdl is a viable option for DX9 but its a bit of hard work. I dont like the layout of the Win32 API that much.
Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Ripiz   Members   -  Reputation: 529

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

WinAPI is probably the only one supported, since you have to give HWND when creating Swap Chain.

What's wrong with WinAPI? To use DirectX all you need is to create a window, that's like... 15 lines which you can copy/paste from countless sources.

#3 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11774

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Any window library that gives you the handle of the window should be usable for D3D11. You just obtain the handle, make a swap chain, and render to that swap chain's backbuffer. SDL should be usable, as should something more complex like qt.

Edited by MJP, 19 October 2012 - 12:21 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS