• Create Account

Diablo-like Walking based on Pathfinder + Level Editor (CONCEPT)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 marcjoel   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

First of all, I already know A* algorithm. I would like to make/test a walking hero character on a map made in a level editor(also made by me).

What I have done before is manage to walk my hero on a map with the given information:
-Texture tile size is same as A* tile size.
-The hero stands on 1 A* tile.

That's a bit straight forward isn't it? It's just applying the A* algorithm posted in the tutorials found in the internet.

My problem is..

Given:
-Texture Tiles: 100 x 100 pixels (the actual texture that will be rendered)
-A* Tiles: 25 x 25 pixels (determines whether walkable or unwalkable) (4 by 4 A* tiles in 1 texture tile)
-Hero character eats 2 by 2 A* tiles (that's 50 x 50 pixels)
-Monsters eat different amount of A* tiles like a big one stands on a 5 by 5 A* tiles while a smaller one on a 3 by 3 A* tiles.

How to go with this?

Sponsor:

#2 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3117

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

One method you could try is to implement different grids. For the hero, have him pathfind on a grid where one tile is the size of a 2x2 patch of base tiles. Similarly, for a big monster implement a grid whose tiles are the same size as 5x5 of the base tiles.

#3 marcjoel   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hmmm, so basically, A* tile map 01 for HERO, A* tile map 02 for monsters with 3 by 3, A* tile map 03 for monsters with 4 by 4.

hmmmmmm. then i will update those 3 tile maps based of their summation? so that no one will be overlapping anyone?

#4 marcjoel   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

what are the other techniques?

#5 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3981

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

here's a good article about clerance based pathfinding: http://harablog.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/clearance-based-pathfinding/

i think it'll fit your needs pretty nicely.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#6 Mussi   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2097

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

This topic might be of interest.

#7 marcjoel   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

I got the Clearance-based Path finding. BUT the agents/units there are always square. 1x1, 2x2, 3x3.. What if I have 2x3 or 2x4 agent/unit?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS