• Create Account

Why did Konami made castlevania?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cap'n VG   Members   -  Reputation: 170

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

I know the series is good infact I'm right now playing the first game through rom. Its always about the Belmonts slaying the vampire I mean how is it great actually?

Sponsor:

#2 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

It was a sidescroller about exploring a big castle full of monsters and gothic stuff, with a name that brought exactly that into your mind. Prior to that, it hadn't happened.

#3 Cap'n VG   Members   -  Reputation: 170

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

To be honest usually when novels or movies are out, the games made based on them don't sell well either because of gameplay or the fact that the movie has a better feel than the game. But in Castlevania's case it worked the opposite.

But it still doesn't explain how the series became great does it?

#4 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Well there's the story. Also remember that this game was really popular during the NES days. So the mindset of what is a great is a bit different for people during the 1980s. Also, the Castlevania has been done quite a few ways. Simon's Quest was a bit of a departure with the night and day feature. It's been done in 3D a few times. The story and legacy of the story does make you interested. I mean who doesn't like killing Dracula or his legions. Also as far as sidescrollers go, it's solid. The gameplay is great.

Is there something about Castlevania that you don't feel is great?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#5 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

To be honest usually when novels or movies are out, the games made based on them don't sell well either because of gameplay or the fact that the movie has a better feel than the game. But in Castlevania's case it worked the opposite.

Castlevania wasn't based on any one book or movie. It's not a movie-based game that typically sucks. It was based on characters like Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Death, etc. all of which had been done in books and in film, and all of which were characters in the game. But as Alpha_ProgDes said, Castlevania has its own story and continuity.

What are we discussing here?

#6 Cap'n VG   Members   -  Reputation: 170

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

I'm trying to say that its too hard that only a few gamers can master the game. Also Isn't the book dracula the same thing like castlevania?

#7 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3551

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

Also Isn't the book dracula the same thing like castlevania?

No.

#8 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8408

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

I'm trying to say that its too hard that only a few gamers can master the game. Also Isn't the book dracula the same thing like castlevania?

The first Castlevania games, as Alpha_ProgDes said, were made during a different time. Players had different ideas about what constituted a fun and challenging game. In those days, it was quite common to play a game that required you to die and continue many times before you could proceed. A lot of the ideas we have now, regarding accessibility and elimination of frustration, hadn't yet been fleshed out by that point. Game design, even for the newfangled home consoles, was still very much influenced by the arcade paragidm, where the point of a game was to keep you feeding quarters into the machine. If Castlevania were created now, it would be an entirely different experience from what it was then.

Bram Stoker's Dracula sort of formalized our idea of the Eastern European vampire legend, and provided the backdrop of myth against which Castlevania and a great many other games were set, but Castlevania was its own "thing" and not just the video game to go with the book, so to speak.

#9 Cap'n VG   Members   -  Reputation: 170

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

So you're saying that even though castlevania has elements of that book, its still different from it? Like in what sense?

#10 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8408

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Elements of bad-assery, for the most part. I've read Bram Stoker's Dracula probably half a dozen times as a kid, and while I like it very much, I wouldn't call any of the characters "bad-asses". A solicitor and a professor. (Modern re-imaginings of van Helsing make him out to be a bad-ass, but in the book he wasn't really.) Heroic, perhaps, but in the end they were just people doing what they had to do. But the Belmonts, now... Bad-assery is their family stock-in-trade.

Castlevania is based on Bram Stoker's vampire legend in much the same way that Vampire: The Masquerade is, or that the Ravenloft setting is, or pretty much any dark Gothic fantasy. That is, they share many characteristics of plot and setting, but each adds their own twists. Sort of like how Tolkien inspired hundreds and hundreds of high fantasy settings involving elves and orcs and dwarves.

#11 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1471

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Is this topic Game VS Book ?

I actually played the original Castlevania when it was new. It was a hard game, but a very fun one at that. "New Age" games to me do not feel as rewarding ... probably the fact many games are made way too easy, and there is little penalty for dieing.

Is the game like the book ( which book??? ) such as Dracula by Bram Stoker ?
Posted Image

No. The game play is nothing like the book ... Actually there were many stories Bram wrote - HERE is a link if you want to read up on his stuff.

The game it's self, is nothing more than a challenging platforming game.

Edited by Shippou, 21 October 2012 - 04:41 PM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#12 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2086

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

I think calling Castlevania similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula, is like saying Twilight similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula.

#13 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I think calling Castlevania similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula, is like saying Twilight similar to Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I think you just gravely insulted Castlevania.
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#14 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Also, the guy has a whip. Now, there were attempts to make Indiana Jones as a video game, but rarely did it work. Castlevania, for some reason, actually got the whip right... It's a whip! You whip things with a whip! Because it's a whip!

#15 Anri   Members   -  Reputation: 597

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

I only like the Symphony of the Night style games, but the series is great when something tragic or "meant to be" happens at the end.

Like, in Castlevania legends, the bit where Alucard is like "Sonia, I love you blablabla...but now I must sleep for 100 years...", and that is quite a hard fact swallow, because when Alucard wakes up after that 100 years passes, Sonia will be long gone...and he'll still be a youthful looking vampire, cursed to live forever etc. He can't be with his true love, and all that lovely-duvey stuff...

The series is at its worst when it requires 300% accuracy and timing. God, I feel like throwing the game out the window...

#16 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2086

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

I think you just gravely insulted Castlevania.

I didn't compare Castlevania to Twilight. I'm pointing out that Castlevania is very-remotely related to Bram Stoker's Dracula (which presumably is the origin of the popular vampire lore). Comparing them is like saying Twilight was the sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula -- which is far from it.

#17 DavidGArce1337   Members   -  Reputation: 119

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I have to pitch in, in an offtopic way, sorry(!), to say how important was Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest to me. I know English because of it.
I was stuck in the game, right before that part where you could ride a twister to another place, I didn't know what to do. So it pushed me to learn the language.
Thanks to my dad translating every now and then, and TV with subtitles I picked up the language quickly and beat the game and all the rest that needed reading to accomplish.

It was not my first game, but it unlike Mega Man or Mario, I needed to read to know more about it and what to do.

The game was great because it had monsters, different weapons, day and night system with different monsters and changes, it had "secret areas", and like puzzles and things that made it different than other games. It took quite awhile to beat and the music, it was nice!
I was maybe 6-7 years old when I remember playing it. To give you an idea of the mindset I had.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS