• Create Account

2D RPG Example Games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Valgor   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hello,

Does anyone know of any 2D RPG games that are free or open sourced?

I'm looking for examples of how other games of this genre handle various tasks and organization.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Haps   Members   -  Reputation: 1315

2Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I haven't looked at the code, but there's a 2D RPG in the XNA education catalog that seems pretty full featured.

Edited by Haps, 20 October 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#3 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

2Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Might I make a suggestion? It would probably be best to code what you can. Then attempt what you don't know and show code and get some peer review.
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#4 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17999

4Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hero of Allacrost. Posted Image

You could also look at FIFE Engine, and potentially investigate if any of the game projects based on it have source available.

Also, this one's a strategy game rather than an RPG, but Battle for Wesnoth might be worth a look as many of the features -- such as the map drawing -- are potentially similar to those needed for a 2d RPG.

Remember to take anything you see with a grain of salt though -- you're looking at the final resulting code, but you almost certainly won't have access to the logic behind the choice of that particular implementation -- you won't know whether a particular technique was chosen because it is the best idea, because it suits some special and unusual need of the particular project, because it used to be a good choice for reasons that no longer apply, or even simply because the developer was ignorant of better options.

Hope that's helpful, and good luck! Posted Image

#5 gnustc   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

an example, not a rpg game but helpful

http://www.allegro.cc/depot/DiabloIIMapEditor/

#6 FlyingDutchman   Members   -  Reputation: 207

1Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Check my homepage . I developed a 2d RPG Engine (inspired by JRPEGS of the SNES area) incl. level editor and small dialog editor + turn based combat system (random encounter). You can find the source on my blog. (link is in signature)

Edited by FlyingDutchman, 22 October 2012 - 08:23 AM.

I open sourced my C++/iOS OpenGL 2D RPG engine :-)

See my blog: (Tutorials and GameDev)

http://howtomakeitin....wordpress.com/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS