• Create Account

Complete Beginner to Game Development

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 XsoodX   Members   -  Reputation: 135

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

I know the basics of C++ (Mainly Console applications) and have made many simple text based games, but i want to go further and start 2d (and later 3d) graphics, But i don't know where to start.

Can someone help me find a good book, or a tutorial site, or anything at all to get me started?

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

3Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Note to forums... I may be copying this often Posted Image

Since you've made text-based games, I believe you should go to 2D land. Here's my suggestion on how you should progress.
  • Pong
  • Breakout
  • Space Invaders (credit to GearSlayer360)
  • Missile Command
  • Asteroids
  • Tetris
  • Pac-Man
  • Tic-Tac-Toe (credit to 3Ddreamer)
  • ????
  • Make Money
The reason for this list is because you know how these games work. The rules and how all the parts are supposed to work. So it's easy to go down the list and learn new skills as you complete each game. For a really good tutorial on 2D game development, google for Lazy Foo SDL

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 21 October 2012 - 02:17 AM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1524

1Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Here is a good tutorial book, with written in simple English, that also gives practical examples . http://greenteapress...kcpp/index.html

Edit: Knowing this stuff is essential to writing more complex games.

Edited by Shippou, 20 October 2012 - 01:16 PM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#4 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2011

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yes. Start with the basics. Pong teaches you the game loop, UI's, animation, collision detection, and some basic physics ;).
I use SFML with C++, however you can develop equally great games with SDL or Allegro. My opinion: Try them all. Make some simple games in all of them and see which one you like the most. For me, it was SFML. For you it could be sfml.

Resources:

SDL:
lazyfoo.net (Click on "SDL Tutorials" at the top of teh screen)

SFML:
sfml-dev.org (Amazing Documentation under the "Tutorials" section)

Allegro:
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/ (Find Documentation There)

Have fun!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#5 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3156

1Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Note to forums... I may be copying this often Posted Image

Since you've made text-based games, I believe you should go to 2D land. Here's my suggestion on how you should progress.

• Pong
  • Breakout
  • Space Invaders (credit to GearSlayer360)
  • Asteroids
  • Tetris
  • Pac-Man
  • ????
  • Make Money
The reason for this list is because you know how these games work. The rules and how all the parts are supposed to work. So it's easy to go down the list and learn new skills as you complete each game. For a really good tutorial on 2D game development, google for Lazy Foo SDL

Yeah: and you will also forget to copy and past the Tic-Tac-Toe game, which really can be a nice challenge to embellish with color and effects.

You forgot a basic beginner game I guess because you never made it! LOL

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#6 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Well I put Tic-tac-toe in the same realm as checker, chess, and connect four. The AI for TTT (although much easier than the other 3) is not as straightforward as say 1 - 5. But I have added it :P
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#7 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3156

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Tic-Tac-Toe (credit to 3Ddreamer)

Posted Image

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS