• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Which one I shud get started with?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 vanangamudi   Members   -  Reputation: 123

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Which one of the open-source game engine is better to get started? I read several threads over several forums and found that it is better to write own game engine specific to application. But I need to know the requirements of a game engine, other than Graphics, Physics and AI... Many people suggested Unity, But I need open-source version so that I can have a look at implementation... so I google rigorously and found some unknown game engines(at least to me)
Unvanquished
Cube
Spring
Pyrogenesis
Torque3D
CrystalSpace
Panda3D
Delta3D
Irrichlt
OpenArena
AlienArena
(please list others if I missed anything....)
FYI: my present focus is on FPS/TPS. Can you tell me which one is better at performance if possible? Torque3D claims to be the best opensource engine - is that true, and if so to what extent?

Sponsor:

#2 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2897

0Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

I'm not sure I understand why you need to see how the game engine you use implements something. If the API documentation is accurate and the classes and methods do what you expect them to do and are reasonably efficient, why care? If I ask my platform to put a red pixel on the screen as pos (500,500) and it does exactly that, it's good enough for me, whether I can see the implementation or not...

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

#3 larspensjo   Members   -  Reputation: 1557

0Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

Which one of the open-source game engine is better to get started? I read several threads over several forums and found that it is better to write own game engine specific to application.

I suppose it is a hobby project? If so, writing your own game engine will give the best opportunity to learn a lot about low level details. But few people actually succeeds in making both a game engine and a successful game.

Do you want something to actually get going? That you can play with? Then it is a better choice to not make your own game engine.

But I need to know the requirements of a game engine, other than Graphics, Physics and AI...

The other way around might be better. You set the requirements, and then we can help you with a choice of a game engine.
Current project: Ephenation.
Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/

#4 vanangamudi   Members   -  Reputation: 123

0Likes

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Which one of the open-source game engine is better to get started? I read several threads over several forums and found that it is better to write own game engine specific to application.

I suppose it is a hobby project? If so, writing your own game engine will give the best opportunity to learn a lot about low level details. But few people actually succeeds in making both a game engine and a successful game.

Do you want something to actually get going? That you can play with? Then it is a better choice to not make your own game engine.

But I need to know the requirements of a game engine, other than Graphics, Physics and AI...

The other way around might be better. You set the requirements, and then we can help you with a choice of a game engine.

Good realtime graphics and physics for now(i think AI is just my part)...

#5 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Write Games Not Engines. Now before you stop reading, hear me out. If you don't know the requirements of an engine, you shouldn't be programming one. You need to make lots of game, and can write an engine when you have made enough games to know what's reusable. You can recycle code from your games also. You shouldn't really be worrying about "open source" right now, because looking at these engines code isn't going to help one bit. I recommend you start actually programming small games like pong and move up until you actually understand what needs to be done for your engine.

I doubt you know what "Good realtime graphics and physics" is. I think what you did was see people making "engines" and decided before you could make a game you need to code your own engine because for your Amazing new FPS you need open source implementation. These engines are too limiting too, right? My guess is that you've never made a game, you decided that you should make an FPS as your first game, and now you're under the impression you can program a 3d Engine for your dream FPS easily?

I'm sorry, however I think you should start with something a little more legible. You're not going to be writing an engine anywhere near the engines mentioned above any time soon.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS