• Create Account

[D3D11]Raindrop effect

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 hupsilardee   Members   -  Reputation: 486

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

I thought of how to implement a really cool rain/shower effect that reacts well to dynamic geometry

1. Render the scene depth from above using an orthographic projection. This will produce a nice heightmap for part of the scene.
2. Water falling is simulated using newtonian physics in a compute or possibly geometry shader, with one buffer storing position and another storing velocity.
3. the heightmap can be used to calculate the height and tangent space at a point, so if the raindrop goes beneath the heightmap, ie it intersects scene geometry, then use the tangent space to bounce it

This could produce a very realistic effect if a character walked under a heavily dripping pipe or a shower room or something. Furthermore, if any drops fall through the heightmap because of inaccuracy or undersampling it will just look like they were absorbed

Sponsor:

#2 johnchapman   Members   -  Reputation: 511

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

I seem to recall reading about this in one of the GPU Pro series, using sun shadows to determine where raindrops can/can't fall. It's a nice idea! Could also be used to apply 'wetting' to the scene in screen space.

#3 Frenetic Pony   Members   -  Reputation: 1192

4Likes

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

It's been done. The STALKER games, ever since Stalker... 2? Clear Skies I think? Had a "Rain Map". Heightmap/Ovehread static shadow map like used for collision of raindrops, further used for applying a dynamic "wet" shader onto anything the rain could "see". Halo Reach actually used scene depth and normals for screen space particle collisions.

So, it's a nice idea that would work, because it already has Posted Image

#4 InvalidPointer   Members   -  Reputation: 1373

0Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

It's been done. The STALKER games, ever since Stalker... 2? Clear Skies I think? Had a "Rain Map". Heightmap/Ovehread static shadow map like used for collision of raindrops, further used for applying a dynamic "wet" shader onto anything the rain could "see". Halo Reach actually used scene depth and normals for screen space particle collisions.

So, it's a nice idea that would work, because it already has Posted Image

Not sure why that was downvoted. True dat.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS