new to developing

Started by
7 comments, last by lauris71 11 years, 5 months ago
hi everyone i want to make video games like gta 3 or gta vc, i am new to developing and dont know much about programming, but i want to make a gta 3 typ games, i want to learn how to make a map, and many othe things whiich are in gta games like cars, weapons, missions etc in which we can roam, make missions etc
pls tell me the names of the software which may be required

i hate coding

pls help me.
thanks in advance
Advertisement
It's hard to tell if you are interested in the programming side of game development or something else.

You say you hate coding, but you want to make video games? What is your reason for wanting to develop games?

You're going to have to know how to program, or have a friend that can help with the programming if you want to even begin to make any type of game.
I can promise that you won't be able to make a gta3 clone for a long time if you are just starting. I'd recommend getting Visual Studio, use XNA, and make some very simple clones. Start off with Space Invaders, that one is pretty easy. I recommend XNA, because the community is pretty big, don't start off with something complicated like c++.

Start small, and work your way up slowly

Hope that helps!.
I'd recommend you learn C/C++, get Visual Studio 2012 Express, and buy the tutorials from http://www.gametutorials.com/ along with books.
Welcome!

Please read the FAQ.

Aside from that, you do know that open-world games are large, difficult projects to complete, right?

Finding an engine, learning how to model, texture, and animate, design levels, learning how to stream levels, "mount" vehicles.
What you're asking about is a very, very complex game type and will take lots of hard work from lots of people for lots of time.

First thing I would suggest aside from reading the FAQ would be to learn about the development of a game like Grand Theft Auto. See what kind of time and effort the dedicate to the game. Learning about their schedule and

From there, learning about making assets (models) will be helpful. You could get Blender, which is a free, open-source 3D modeling program, to help you develop you model making skills.

From there, finding a game engine might be something to look into. Finding one that can stream levels (so you can 'load' in chunks of the world at a time to take the heavy load off the computer), is vehicle friendly, and has some code-less design features is actually pretty easy. I would say to go with UDK (Unreal Development Kit) as it's free, has Kismet to program, and is pretty powerful.

But I gotta say, once you get your feet wet, you'll see how much of a daunting task it is that you're looking for. I think all open-world games actually have taken years to make, and that was by huge teams of highly skilled professionals working on it full time; some times/usually 6 or 7 days a week and 14 hour days.

I'm not trying to discourage you. If you can make the next GTA all by your lonesome, more power to you.
Good luck on your path of being a game dev!smile.png

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

You could try Unity's car tutorial, customize it and start from there:

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/car-tutorial

so i need these softawares
unity 3d
Visual Studio 2012 Express
c++
thanks a lot everyone
If you hate coding your best bet would be to use a engine where most things can be done without coding. UDK can do a lot with kismet, which is just visual programming where you put a actor on screen like a camera and link it's position to a player by just clicking and dragging within kismet. Unity is also nice but i believe requires a bit more programming.

C++ will be horror if you hate coding since it is just a programming language. But is useful to learn and use next to the named engines.

You also have programs like game creator, they cut on the flexibility of your game but require no coding. I doubt if you could make something close to GTA with it but then again it takes years upon years of practice with the engines i named as well. To make it clear, GTA has been developed by a big team of very experience artists and programmers with a big budget. What makes you think you could make something similar without coding, experience and quite possibly not all of the skills necessary?
I would suggest working in the industry. Perhaps you can start as an on-site game tester. It isn't that fun, but as you don't have any actual skills, not to mention no related college degrees, this is the best way to get a job in the industry, where you can gain some experience and contacts.

so i need these softawares
unity 3d
Visual Studio 2012 Express
c++
thanks a lot everyone

No, if you plan to use Unity (a wise choice btw) you will not need C++ and VS2012. You will most probably using C# or JavaScript programming languages in MonoDevelop environment that is included with Unity.

Instead you will need 3D modeling skills. I suggest downloading Blender (a free software) and spending at least two weeks working through tutorials. Blender can do everything an amateur modeler needs.

And keep in mind that even the longest jorney starts from the first step. You will not be able to develop GTA-like game for a along time - but once you will learn the tools you can at least start moving.
Lauris Kaplinski

First technology demo of my game Shinya is out: http://lauris.kaplinski.com/shinya
Khayyam 3D - a freeware poser and scene builder application: http://khayyam.kaplinski.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement