Create a Game Engine

Started by
46 comments, last by kks21199 11 years, 5 months ago
Hello guys, I want to create a game engine and i am confused with things. Can anyone say the things i need to know please..
Advertisement
I'm no expert on game engine programming but I can tell you that your question is way too vague for a topic way too large. If you want good answers you need to ask specific questions. Be specific on what you are confused with.
http://scientificninja.com/blog/write-games-not-engines
First of all, I would recomend you to plan and answer some questions like:
which programming language I chose?
what the engine will be used for (what kind of games)?
Which platform you are aiming for(windows, unix, consoles, mobile)?
Which api will you use (directx or openGL obviously, but also some 3rd party or frameworks, like xna, sdl, devIL, assimp etc.)?
Also chosing good architexture is important (I am deferred shading or other variations).
And much more, you can figure the rest out :)

After that the best idea is to plan your project. Use a piece of paper, or if you can an app, to create a model of your engine(I use Visio for instance). It's very crucial, because you need to plan your project, think of what you need, how to combine it into one, for instance which class agragates other, or which one derives after other. Imagine what would have happened if you would make a planning mistake during codding - ouch...

When You got your project done, code. You got plenty white papers on algorithms. Try to make everything as clean as possible in the code. Try to use tips for speed. Ask on forums if you are stuck. Also remember about commenting your code. Engines are big, sometimes you need to go back to 'older' code and sometimes you can forget what it does (we are just human :)). And be patient :) Good luck!
A game engine is just a tool. If you want to make a tool, you need to know specifically what you're going to be using it for.

If you're turning screws, you want a screwdriver. If you're hitting nails, you want a hammer.

If you're making a new tool, you should know what problems it will be used to solve.
If you do know what problems you will use this tool to solve, then tell us those specific problems and we can help you design this tool appropriately.
If you don't know what problems you'll be using this tool for, you have to find that out first before blindly creating tools with no explicit purpose, otherwise you'll end up with a mallet when you really needed scissors...
Creating a game engine is really hard task. Especially for someone that hasn't got enough experience. I wated around 1 year before I start my engine(after this idea first came into my mind). During this time I read all books which had the keywords "engine" and "programming" in their titles(If I could find them in PDF, i would really like to buy some of them however not everyone has money).
And I can say, it would be better if I had waited a little more.
The result was: 5 months working on engine. And then give up, and start it from the very beginning. WHY? Well, books don't tell how you should struct your code. They can just show the way. I also coun't make a plan for my project. I mean I couln't plan my features. This two mistakes bring me down. However I do not regret, I learned how to plan my future projects and how to make my code right with minimal effort.(under struct I meant const correctness, design, naming, etc.)
If you are going to start it now... well, happy debugging. The choise is yours.

Hello guys, I want to create a game engine and i am confused with things. Can anyone say the things i need to know please..

The things you need to know are:
- a programming language
- a graphics library
- a sound library
- a library for mouse/keyboard/gamepad input
- at least three game designs that could be implemented by the game engine, preferably as different from each other as possible (within the scope of the engine).

openwar - the real-time tactical war-game platform

I want to know the language i need to learn and also the graphic thing. I need to know the sections i need to learn in the specific language and also in the graphics library. I need a clear answer for this.The game which is created by my game engine should work in pc, mac, ps3, xbox.

And guys i did not post anything because i am not started yet. I need some guide in it. For now i am learning so it would be more easier for me to learn if i know what to learnsmile.png
Forgot to mention a thing, I don't care spending so if you know some pdf books selling online say the link i would like to buy it, it is worthy in the future

I want to know the language i need to learn

Most languages will do, if you know what you're doing.

and also the graphic thing. I need to know the sections i need to learn in the specific language and also in the graphics library. I need a clear answer for this.[/quote]
You will need a good grasp on everything that's important. What that is, only experience can tell you.

The game which is created by my game engine should work in pc, mac, ps3, xbox.[/quote]
Your engine doesn't create games, you create games. ;)
Try Unity, that's a popular cross-platform engine.

And guys i did not post anything because i am not started yet. I need some guide in it. For now i am learning so it would be more easier for me to learn if i know what to learnsmile.png[/quote]
Learn to make a game, using an existing engine. Then you can make a "game engine", because you know how to use one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement