• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Library for playing Vorbis files with SDL2?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1806

0Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

What is a good library to play Vorbis data with SDL2? Must be in C and free software. I tried vorbisfile but I'm hating it (and I'm having some odd error I can't seem to be able to track down). I thought of SDL_mixer but I can't find the SDL2 version (was that library ported?). Is there anything else?

What I need:
  • I should be able to make it use PhysicsFS somehow
  • I'm just uploading the entire sound into memory (this is for sound effects)
  • I don't care about bitstreams past the first one (for now at least)
Any suggestions?
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Sponsor:

#2 nox_pp   Members   -  Reputation: 490

0Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

I don't know about PhysicsFS, but I've used stb_vorbis to decode a vorbis file kept in memory. It's written in C and in the public domain.

EDIT: I see that now that you want to play Vorbis files, not just decode them. To that end, vorbisfile is not a replacement for SDL_Mixer, nor is stb_vorbis. For output, you can use PortAudio or OpenAL, among other things. For decoding, you can use anything--vorbisfile, SDL_Sound, stb_vorbis, or ALURE.

Between Scylla and Charybdis: First Look <-- The game I'm working on

Object-Oriented Programming Sucks <-- The kind of thing I say

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS