• Create Account

Animated title screen?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 shadowbankai   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Currently I am in the process of designing a platformer and was wondering if it is possible to recreate the main menu/title screen of zelda OoT or Aiydn the first mage.
This is only an idea to see if it was possible to do such a thing because I personaly haven't seen it done in a 2D game.

Now the question, in 2D or fake it with some fancy 2.5D fiddling?
is it possible to get a similar effect to animation played like how the map moves when links riding on the horse or like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr1tg4nLUKA.

I would like It to do the whole moving cycle from left to right or right to left instead of the flying through thing that Aiydn uses cause I don't believe I can make that effect in 2D.

If its not possible in 2D could anyone recommend any tutorials for 3D =D?

Sponsor:

#2 InvalidPointer   Members   -  Reputation: 1364

1Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Nope, it's clearly not possible to accomplish. OoT/Aiydn broke reality :)

You'll need to elaborate what you mean by 'in 2D' though. If you're looking to display a sort of 'demo' run-through of a special level, that's not too hard to do; you're basically just slapping an overlay over you regular rendering pipeline. You could have an AI-controlled player character in such case, or record yourself playing something and then have the game play that back somehow-- this depends on what your technology lets you do (and the latter is rather helpful for automated testing/benchmarks, if you're into that sort of thing) and the specific effect you're looking to accomplish.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

#3 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3539

1Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

What specific effect are you looking to create?

There isn't anything special about the OOT title screen. It's just a panning camera. Many games, 2D and 3D have done this.

If you have a working 2D side scroller, you should already have some kind of camera mechanism to offset which part of the level you are displaying, and you already scroll it with player movement.

Create a level or a scene for your title screen, load it, and then pan the camera through it. Then add characters and have them play whatever animations you need. You can create multiple levels and fade between them too.

#4 shadowbankai   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

You'll need to elaborate what you mean by 'in 2D' though.

well i wanted to know if i could imitate such effect if i had only 2D capabilities

What specific effect are you looking to create?

well i wanted to have the panning camera effect but i Didn't know how i could give it that 360 angle view that Aidyn has with only 2D,

I have the basic scroller working will try what you guys said and post up some code later =D thanks for the advice

#5 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3539

1Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Well, you could use a Raycaster effect like wolfenstein...? OR you could open up Blender and use your tiles as textures and make a 3D version of your level to pan through, but the user will be disappointing when the title screen shows the game off as different than the actual game? :P

#6 shadowbankai   Members   -  Reputation: 118

0Likes

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

Create a level or a scene for your title screen, load it, and then pan the camera through it. Then add characters and have them play whatever animations you need. You can create multiple levels and fade between them too.

Ill try making a few levels and recording some gameplay and play that on load like you said

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS