• Create Account

Spending The US Federal Deficit

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1378

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

The US government is on track for running up over $1.2 trillion in debt this year alone, and I have been wondering - what can you buy for that much money ?

Here is a video for spending the 2010 deficit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAsT0RtPEk

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

Sponsor:

#2 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I heard an estimate that to save the Salton Sea in southern California -- which is sometimes the source of this ugly, nasty, garbage+sulphur+dead fish smell throughout the area -- you'd need something like $9 billion or more. So, given money equivalent the federal deficit, you could potentially remove this ugly, nasty, garbage+sulphur+dead fish smell in southern California. Maybe.

#3 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4684

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

You could probably solve the drug problem in Mexico by using that money to create jobs. You could buy several water treatment plants for poorer countries. I could not work for ... ever and take a trip to new country every month for life. You could pay off people's mortgages and prevented the mortgage crisis a couple of years early. I could finally invest in a VR arcade room and buy the new Google goggles.
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#4 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

...take a trip to new country every month for life...

Well, for the next seventeen years or so, at least. [/smartypants]

#5 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1378

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Posted Image
I'd love to see what kind of vacations you take - $5.7 million a vacation that works out to be.

With $1.2 trillion, I'd buy about 100 square miles of land, and than declare it an independent nation, hiring my own army to "defend" it's borders. Posted Image

Edited by Shippou, 28 October 2012 - 06:33 AM.

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#6 Oolala   Members   -  Reputation: 711

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Knowing me, it would probably fall out of my pocket and I'd lose it in my couch cushions.

#7 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image
I'd love to see what kind of vacations you take - $5.7 million a vacation that works out to be.

As awesome as spending 5 or 6 million dollars on a vacation each month might sound, there are 206 sovereign states in the world, and 12 months in a year. So to visit a new country each month works out to 17 years and some change, assuming you have never visited another country besides your own. So, would you spend $5.8 million a month to visit every country in the world for 17 years if given the chance? :)

#8 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4684

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

I doubt I would even spend $.8 million a month. Maybe $250K though Posted Image

$250K a month on vacations works out to be 4,800,000 months. :) :)

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 28 October 2012 - 09:08 PM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#9 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1378

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

You could probably solve the drug problem in Mexico by using that money to create jobs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

A "high paying" job down there pays $2 USD an hour. If you payed your workers $10 an hour, you could hire 60,000,000 folks for 1 year. If you wanted to hire the entire population of Mexico for a year, you'd have to pay every one $5 an hour .

- Douglas Adams 2002

#10 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

You could probably solve the drug problem in Mexico by using that money to create jobs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

That's assuming the drug problem in Mexico is a problem in Mexico. A better fix for the drug problem in Mexico is to "donate" to enough US politicians to end the "war on drugs". That could have a dramatic effect on the lives of the poor in both Mexico and the USA.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS