• Create Account

Create a own Operating System

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sugavanas   Members   -  Reputation: 153

-3Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Guys do anyone now how to make an os, i know how to program it but still i don't understand some parts in it. How d i make one of my computer run on my own os. And can i juz program the full thing in windows or there is any other ways,??

Sponsor:

#2 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2767

3Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

There's another thread about this with the exact same topic right below your own thread: http://www.gamedev.n...erating-system/

Operating system development might very well be one of the hardest topics to tackle and should only be done when you're very comfortable with a language suited for system programming (eg. C) and an assembly language for the CPU you'll be developing for. You'll also need to have a decent understanding how computers work on a bare metal level, you'll have absolutely no helper libraries at your disposal, you'll literally have to do everything all by yourself.

I've done a few kernels myself, and it takes months to get something you could actually do something useful with, even with a solid background in programming and general computer knowledge.

You're the same person who wanted to write a game engine, right? I think you're setting your goals far too high for your current skill level, start with the basics: one must know how to walk before he can learn how to run

Edited by Radikalizm, 27 October 2012 - 09:02 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS