• Create Account

What is the best free image converter? (to png)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Assassinbeast   Members   -  Reputation: 271

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hey guys.

i would like to know what is the best and free image converter that is able to make a specific color transparent and convert it to png images Posted Image

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10943

4Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

ImageMagick is free, has a lot functionality, and is quite popular. It can definitely convert to PNG, and I believe that you can specify a color key with -transparent.

#3 Assassinbeast   Members   -  Reputation: 271

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

ImageMagick is free, has a lot functionality, and is quite popular. It can definitely convert to PNG, and I believe that you can specify a color key with -transparent.

Ok, thanks alot Posted Image

#4 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18532

5Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

As MJP said, ImageMagick is great, and very powerful - though it has a bit of a learning curve. For most image conversions, I just open them in my chosen image editor (PaintShopPro - commercial), and Save As a different format. I'm sure the free Paint.NET would support transparent PNGs, and you'd get a great image editor for free to boot.
It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#5 Assassinbeast   Members   -  Reputation: 271

0Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

As MJP said, ImageMagick is great, and very powerful - though it has a bit of a learning curve. For most image conversions, I just open them in my chosen image editor (PaintShopPro - commercial), and Save As a different format. I'm sure the free Paint.NET would support transparent PNGs, and you'd get a great image editor for free to boot.

Ahh ok, ty Posted Image

Edited by Assassinbeast, 27 October 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#6 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10943

2Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

Yeah Paint.Net is totally capable for this sort of thing if you want a GUI app, and you're okay with converting one image at a time. ImageMagick is a command line app, so it's better if you wanted to batch covert a whole lot of images with a script.

#7 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2088

4Likes

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

GIMP. Free, works mostly like Photoshop.

#8 Lightness1024   Members   -  Reputation: 736

2Likes

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

also irfanview with GUI configurable batch conversions, resize and rename. excellent !

#9 diane21   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Here is a handy and free online image converter software available "imverter.com". It is a free online tool to convert an image, logo or photo formats. which is primarily intended for Photo conversion like PDF to png, PDF to JPEG, PDF to Tiff and many more formats..

Edited by diane21, 24 November 2012 - 11:33 AM.

:)

#10 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8534

2Likes

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

For Windows I highly recommend Pixelformer, it's an absolutely awesome GUI tool when you need a straightforward, no-fuss image editor. I use primarily for resizing transparent PNG's and creating icons containing more than one size (support for this seems... lacking). Also converting icons to PNG's and vice versa. Never failed me yet. May not be the exact thing you're looking for, but I definitely suggest you put it in your toolbox.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#11 camillem210   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

ImageMagick and Fastone are both good.However ,I preferimage conversion component by the way, Im a junior student starting to process image by programming.The one suits me is the best.

#12 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 20349

1Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

For me:

irfanview (free, Windows) for tiny things and one-off conversion.  It is very quick.  It can handle a few batches, but tends to be too slow on anything above 30 pictures.

The Gimp for visual conversions that need touching up.  Photoshop if you are rich or at a work.

imageMagick for more serious batch conversions.  For example, on my hobby of photography I have an imageMagick script to run through all the newly imported images and create three sizes of thumbnails each with different types of watermarks and file them in various folders.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#13 VladR   Members   -  Reputation: 722

0Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Definitely FastStone.

I wouldnt recommend ImageMagick, however. Other than being an incredible overkill, It has a few nasty bugs that tend to show up at the worst possible time.

FastStone is rock-stable, abount an order of magnitude faster than similar programs and offers you a nice preview window during conversion where you can mess with the quality slider.

While I personally use PaintShopPro for editing, only a true masochist would want to use it to convert the images - it's as cumbersome as possible.

Starting up Photoshop / PaintSHopPro for a conversion is also a drastic resource hog.

If you keep your machine running nonstop, and want to alt-tab to photoshop or paintshoppro (with 10 images open), then good luck with that. FastStone barely blinks...

VladR    My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight:    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

#14 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3133

0Likes

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

Lately I have been juggling GIMP and Inkscape.   Both combined are capable for almost every 2D project to produce professional quality works at no cost.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#15 arronlee   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

I'm looking for a free image converter, too.

Most of the free online tools do not have many functions.

But the professional ones are not free.

A friend suggests me to use the free trials of some professionals first, because I'm a green hand on dealing with images.

But, Camillem210

I want to knoware there any differences between this free image converter recommended by my friend and yours?

Which one is much better.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Arron

#16 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9588

0Likes

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hey guys.

i would like to know what is the best and free image converter that is able to make a specific color transparent and convert it to png images happy.png

Microsoft Paint. No need to download anything. It's already installed. The transparent color is "white."

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#17 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3133

0Likes

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

But the professional ones are not free

Hi, 

Here is a very common and popular error which people have.  Open Source and no cost ("free") programs are used by many professionals every day in their work.   These "free" programs such as GIMP and Inkscape are professional. Game development at every level from beginner to experienced world class professionals is saturated with "free" programs of every category imaginable, such as coding tools. 

As you learn and growth, you will see better how very true these words are to you.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS