• Create Account

Best Linux distro for AMD hardware

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 937

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm wanting to get a Linux distro setup on my computer. I have Ubuntu 12.04 setup right now, but I'm not entirely happy with the Unity interface. It's not as customizable as I would like. I also have been having problems getting ATI drivers to work without crashing my system. What are everyone's favorite Linux distros. One of my friends says Linux Mint is good, but I don't know if he has an ATI card or not. Also, I'm on a multimonitor setup.

Sponsor:

#2 Radikalizm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2771

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

I don't know about AMD hardware support, but I can definitely recommend OpenSUSE or Fedora as stable, powerful and user-friendly distros. If you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty you could also have a look at Debian, but you might have a harder time getting all you hardware to function correctly.

There probably are a lot of other good distros, but these are the ones I've used recently.

#3 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4761

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

If you don't like the power and design of Ubuntu, you could consider its lightweight cousin Lubuntu. All the same software as Ubuntu except its default desktop shell is LXDE.

When it comes to "which distro is best for AMD hardware", they're pretty much all the same, since AMD releases binary blob drivers. It's not like it's different for different distros. You'll have to choose one based on other criteria.
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#4 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

I think you just need to pick a different window manager besides Unity. I use Gnome 3 Classic currently. What problems are you having with your ATI drivers?

#5 jjd   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2066

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

I think ubuntu is a great distro but it is not moving in a direction I particularly want to go. So recently I have started using gentoo as my distribution of choice. If you are looking for the ability to customize, you will definitely get that with gentoo.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

#6 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

I think ubuntu is a great distro but it is not moving in a direction I particularly want to go. So recently I have started using gentoo as my distribution of choice. If you are looking for the ability to customize, you will definitely get that with gentoo.

Haha, that's a little extreme. At least with Gentoo if your system sucks, you only have yourself to blame. Posted Image

#7 jjd   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2066

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Haha, that's a little extreme. At least with Gentoo if your system sucks, you only have yourself to blame. Posted Image

:)

I was lucky enough to work with a gentoo maintainer at my last job so I was able to get some good instruction and experience before taking the plunge. Since I mostly want to work on a stripped down system it works well for me. Also, the documentation and community support are excellent.

--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

#8 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5770

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

The main thing to keep in mind with AMD hardware is to pick a distro that was released close to the same year as your GPU, AMD drops support faster than their CEO changes his underwear so new distros tend to NOT work with older AMD hardware (the OSS driver lags behind so there is usually a gap of a few years where a given GPU is more or less unusable (This is even worse for laptops))
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#9 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 937

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Okay. I guess I'll just have to download them all and test them out. I think I'll check out Fedora first.

#10 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

Okay. I guess I'll just have to download them all and test them out. I think I'll check out Fedora first.

I used to use Fedora, but it was for servers, not desktop usage. If the only thing you don't like about Ubuntu is Unity, then why not install a different flavor of Ubuntu? As others have said, the AMD story is going to be pretty much the same across the board. When picking a distro, I see three main things you're deciding on. The default configuration, the package manager and the windowing system, so pick the windowing system and package manager you like the most, and customize from there.

#11 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, again, if you don't want to use Unity, then on the login screen, click on the "gear" icon next to your login. That gives you a menu to change what desktop environment you want to use. So, you may not need to install a whole new distro when you can just install a DE that you like and switch to that one.

#12 jjd   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2066

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

@OP Was thinking about this post last night, and thought it might be worth noting that Valve is working pretty closely with Ubuntu, so you might want to keep that in mind if you are entertaining the notion of distributing via steam.

--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

#13 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 937

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hmmm. Good point.

#14 retroworld   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Linux Mint is really great. I have only been using it for about a week and I am really happy with it. It is much better than ubuntu in my opinion.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS