• Create Account

Adobe Flex Game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1488

0Likes

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hello.

The company I work at has a game wrote on Adobe Flex. I'm trying to begin with Flex SDK game development, but struggled to find a good book or tutorial about this subject. Suggest some tutorials/books for me, please.

I have another specific Flex question. How do I create elements dynamically? For example, I want to create a button (btn2) when I click another button (btn1). So in btn1's click handler I create new spark.controls.Button for btn2, assign it's x and y parameters, but nothing happens when I click btn1.

Edited by GuardianX, 28 October 2012 - 01:51 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2010

0Likes

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Do you speak native English? If not, I'll try to help you with your grammar (In the least mean and criticizing way possible, I understand how complex English is!).

Hello.

Our company have a game written on Flex. As the new member of company, I'm is trying to begin with Flex SDK game development, but struggled to find a good book or tutorial about this subject. Suggest some tutorials/books for me, please.

Okay, you say that "Our company have a game written on Flex". This is hard to understand. This would probably be more helpful to the Native English speakers here:

The company I work at has a game wrote on Adobe Flex

. Saying "Our Company" is suggesting that you either own the company or that there are other people involved. Also, saying have is using the wrong tense. Saying have is used in the past tense (I used to have a Car). It would be better expressed as "has" because has means your company presently has it, which is what you are trying to convey (My company currently has a game wrote with flex). Another place where the tense wasn't correct was where you say your company has a game written on flex. What you were trying to convey was that your company wrote a game in adobe flex. Written is used in only when paired with certain terms (“have”, “has”, “would” or “will”). Now, you may say that there is a have there. However, that have is "attached" to the game noun, meaning that it's not "paired" with written. Wrote is used in past tense (My company wrote a game with adobe flex.).

There are some more errors, however they are too small to matter.

Believe me, I'm only trying to help. Learning English correctly will set you up for a great future, and I understand how complex the language is. If you really want to understand the language correctly, I recommend learning the "four levels of grammar". They'll help you understand what words to use when you want to convey something, and will help you understand what a sentence is actually about.

On the Adobe Flex problem, I don't program in flex. I suggest looking at your code. When I was first learning about handling mouse clicks (In C++, which is arguably more complicated than flex) I kept on using the wrong parameters (MouseMove vs. MouseButton) and it ended up in unpredictable code.

Edited by superman3275, 28 October 2012 - 12:53 PM.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#3 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1488

0Likes

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Do you speak native English? ...

I appreciate your English skills, but I really need to solve my initial problem. I know that my English sometimes is really bad, but thats generally because of my writing speed and poor knowledge of tenses. After all, you got my problem and so others would =)

#4 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1488

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Noone really used Flex for game developing purposes?

#5 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2010

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Most people on here use Flash if they use any Adobe programs. I don't really see the point of using Adobe Flex. Your company probably used Flash or another programming language to actually code the game (Because as far as I can see Adobe Flex is for managing code-bases, not programming games).

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

#6 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1488

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

Most people on here use Flash if they use any Adobe programs. I don't really see the point of using Adobe Flex. Your company probably used Flash or another programming language to actually code the game (Because as far as I can see Adobe Flex is for managing code-bases, not programming games).

Flex SDK is a framework over Flash providing deeper capabilities than former Adobe Flash for programmer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Flex

#7 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2010

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Yes, however adobe flex is for managing code bases. Apache flex is for programming like you said. Ty asking for Apache flex help. It is also unclear exactly what you want?

#8 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1488

0Likes

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Yes, however adobe flex is for managing code bases. Apache flex is for programming like you said. Ty asking for Apache flex help. It is also unclear exactly what you want?

I'm not sure what do you mean by "managing code bases". Apache Flex is the same as Adobe Flex. Adobe donated 4.6 version to Apache in 2011. Apache recently released version 4.8, which is almost the same as 4.6. This is framework for RIA, which can be used for games developing.

My initial question was about resources about Flex game developing to learn from, because I can't find any by myself.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS