• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

setInterval OR setTimeout: Am I understanding this right?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Schoening   Members   -  Reputation: 141

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

Is this right? We are talking about JavaScript. Event Based Language.

If I use setInterval to call a function every second, and the funtion takes 2 seconds to process. Then I am going to "stack up" requests indefinelty? and creating a longer and longer delay?

If I use setTimeout, and specify 1 second. Then the function will run (again, lets say 2 seconds) and then start the timeout. And not stack up requests.

Sponsor:

#2 kd7tck   Members   -  Reputation: 719

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Look here.

Often it will freeze the browser or ignore the next interval until the current one is done.

#3 Schoening   Members   -  Reputation: 141

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

So this is a yes for setTimeout?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS