• Create Account

Molecule Visualiser

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 elurahu   Members   -  Reputation: 254

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

This image demonstrates the Alexandra Institutes real-time molecular visualization application written using OpenGL and GLSL. The video features three distinct visualizations: Stick-and-ball, Connolly surface and density plot. The application renders the molecule using image-based lighting combined with depth-of-field. Ambient occlusion and fog is further used to enhance the perception of depth. The Connolly surface can be dynamically recreated when changing the orbital or probe radius. When recreating the Connolly surface the ambient occlusion is dynamically updated. The density plot, which features five separate density fields, is composited onto the rasterized geometry using raymarching.<br />
<br />
The project was done as part of a research project funded by &quot;Animation Hub&quot;.<br />
<br />
You can find a video showcasing the application along with our other work at:<br />
<br />
Main blog page:<br />
http://cg.alexandra.dk<br />
<br />
Project blog post:<br />
http://cg.alexandra.dk/2012/09/12/molecular-visualization-using-opengl-glsl/<br />
<br />
Click here to view the iotd

Sponsor:

#2 SuperVGA   Members   -  Reputation: 1118

1Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

WOW! For my bEng IT project, I actually extended a Volume raycaster (http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/~janba/VoxelRay/main.html) with a few features, but although it ended up looking rather good, it doesn't match this. Also, at those resolutions it would've been a slideshow, even on my decent hardware.

-What sort of framerates are you getting in the density plot mode? (I'm assuming you also use a glsl volume raycaster there)

#3 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8857

1Likes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

This is really cool. I love the squishy look of the molecules and AO is well done too.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#4 elurahu   Members   -  Reputation: 254

2Likes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Thank you both.

We are getting quite good framerates - full HD 128^3 datasets at 100+ fps with all effects active on a 470GTX.

Yes - we are using a GLSL raycaster.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS