• Create Account

Help with loading models.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Badone   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 October 2001 - 11:51 AM

Hi, I''ve already searched through the forum on this and I couldn''t find anything. I saw nehe''s tutorial showed how to load ms3d models, but does anyone know of a place to get them? It''s just for a little math extra credit project at school, a review game. Also, I found a couple really need md2 models but I can''t figure out how to load them in. I''ve looked through many tutorials on the subject but none of them have worked for me. I tried using the one out of the OpenGL Game Programming book but it just gives me either a zoomed in screen of my desktop or an error from some .dll file. Any help on this subject would be very much appreciated. I have a trial of Milkshape so I guess I could try to make some, but if there is another format that is easy to load, and you can get free models for, I would appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks again :O)

Sponsor:

#2 masonium   Members   -  Reputation: 118

Posted 14 October 2001 - 03:05 PM

model loading isn''t too hard to do if you''re adept at reading files with fopen, fclose, etc. You might want to check the documentation of the format that you want to load.

#3 ANSI2000   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 October 2001 - 03:34 PM

www.gametutorials.com show you how to load: ASE, 3DS, OBJ files.

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 15 October 2001 - 06:34 AM

I believe MilkShape can open 3DS files and such, so you could just get some from free models from http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/meshes.asp
Then open them in MilkShape and save them as ms3d and use NeHe''s tutorial to load them.

#5 Badone   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 October 2001 - 07:28 AM

I''ve already imported the md2 files into Milkshape, and I will try 3ds files, but when you import them, does it keep all the animation? I want to have the walking, dying, and winning or taunting animations that came with the models. Thanks.

#6 Badone   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 October 2001 - 01:49 PM

I got the code from The OpenGL Game Programming book and it works with the 2 models that it came with, but when I try and put my own models in there it doesn''t work. And it''s not that the mesh won''t load, I don''t get anything. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

#7 HellRiZZer   Members   -  Reputation: 308

Posted 15 October 2001 - 06:17 PM

I''ve got MD2 loading code working as well as someone else where I took it from and heavily modified.
If you need it, ICQ me on 42699190 or reply here, and I''ll send you the source.

Cheers.

#8 Badone   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 October 2001 - 07:15 AM

Thanks, for the help everyone, and the offer, but I just got the code from the OpenGL Programming Book to work. Thanks

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS