• Create Account

XNA's Future

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

#21 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 708

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Edit: forget what i just said, changed my mind. ill just use monogame heh

Edited by Xanather, 02 November 2012 - 11:46 PM.

Sponsor:

#22 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1603

0Likes

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

It is only a matter of time before this topic arises again, but with DirectX being dropped. (or Unity etc...)

Projects and technology die (especially closed source ones) which is nothing new. It is important for a developer to adapt.

Even though OpenGL is likely to outlive us all, it may still have major API changes that still break our code requiring the majority of your code to be rewritten anyway. I.e since Quake 1 used a lot of the fixed function pipeline (it is all they had back then), once this is removed from OpenGL drivers, Quake 1 will need a serious rewrite.

What I might add though is that XNA code is a lot more easy to port to a new graphics API than Unity 3D... So I would have major concerns about using the latter especially since it's lifespan is artificially restricted due to DRM so once they turn off the activation server (even for the free version) you are screwed!

Edited by Karsten_, 03 November 2012 - 10:16 AM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#23 Gavin Williams   Members   -  Reputation: 664

0Likes

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

@Karsten_ - You should probably edit your post as I'm sure you didn't mean that DirectX is being dropped. Because it isn't.

#24 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1603

0Likes

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

?.. I never said DirectX has been dropped.

All my post really suggested was that technology comes and goes, those who adapt quicker, win.

For the record, Unity isn't being dropped any time soon either AFAIK.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#25 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 708

0Likes

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

Forget it, i am moving to SharpDX, ive played around with SharpDX.Toolkit and it really impresses me, cant wait for the mouse/keyboard input update.
Better yet, it uses DirectX 11 Posted Image.

This also means I can move onto Visual Studio 2012.

Edited by Xanather, 04 November 2012 - 04:05 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS