Tile types blending with other tile types

Started by
6 comments, last by Xanather 11 years, 5 months ago
This is probably a simple question, I really just want to achieve what Terraria and other 2D tile based games have done:
terrariaexample.png
I have been thinking of ways on how to implement such a thing, but it seems like it would just be to create a sprite sheet for each tile and in each sprite sheet have all compatible tile type blends associated with that tile. And then hard code all that in (which all that would take a long time).

I had a hard time explaining that, anyway I hope you know what I mean. Is there any other easier way? Either way what suggestions would you make in implementing such a thing?
Advertisement
Someone posted a link to a project that explained how they did this, and it was partially automated. Basically, as you lay down your tiles in your editor, when 2 different tiles are side-by-side, it will blend the 2 adjacent tiles automatically with pre-defined tile.

I'm sorry I don't have the link, but hopefully someone here will. It was a nice article.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Ahh so a blending tile was placed in between the two compatible tiles? That sounds like a good idea. But what if the two tiles originally had more than one representation? How would that blending tile placed in between the two tiles be correct?

Id love to read that article, I will go searching around for it. Can you remember which website it was on?

Thanks, Xanather.

Ahh so a blending tile was placed in between the two compatible tiles? That sounds like a good idea. But what if the two tiles originally had more than one representation? How would that blending tile placed in between the two tiles be correct?

Id love to read that article, I will go searching around for it. Can you remember which website it was on?

Thanks, Xanather.

Xanther, there wasn't a new tile place between them, it basically modified the old adjacent tile, and the new tile being placed so both tiles were modified so the edges of them blended with the other tile.

Picture laying down a grass tile to the right of a dirt tile. When the grass tile is places, the dirt tile is automatically changed so the right side of it has a little grass on it, and the left tile of the grass tile has a little dirt in it, but it's looks like dirt fades to grass.

It was in a post on this forum that someone linked it, but I don't recall where the article was hosted. It may have actually been hosted on gamedev. Good luck finding it.

-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Ok that makes more sense thanks.
This may be the article that BeerNutts was referring to. I recently found it helpful to get tile transitions working in my own project.

This may be the article that BeerNutts was referring to. I recently found it helpful to get tile transitions working in my own project.

Yes, that's it. Thanks Kseh

-----

Cool, thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement