• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Gamedev Users: How many have iOS versus Android

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Have iOS, Android, Both, or none of the above. (93 member(s) have cast votes)

I have

1. an iOS device only (17 votes [18.28%])

Percentage of vote: 18.28%

2. an Android device only (42 votes [45.16%])

Percentage of vote: 45.16%

3. both an iOS and an Android device (13 votes [13.98%])

Percentage of vote: 13.98%

4. none of the above (21 votes [22.58%])

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Animate2D   Members   -  Reputation: 182

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I would like to know how many gamedev readers have iOS versus Android.

Please reply to poll, or post as a reply to this thread with iOS, Android, both iOS and Android, oor none of the above to this post.

Thanks.

Edited by Animate2D, 02 November 2012 - 10:49 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 MrDaaark   Members   -  Reputation: 3555

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I have an Android 4.03 Tablet, and as of yesterday, an Android 4.03 phone.

#3 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1714

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

I have a Tracfone, which probably drops my geek factor down a few notches .... on the positive side I payed $25 for it, and it costs me $100 a year for minutes.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#4 Animate2D   Members   -  Reputation: 182

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Cool.. android is dominating so far. Quite unexpected from my side. In New York City it seems like everyone has the iPhone. I have been seeing alot of nexus 7 on the train. My kindle fire collects dust as i have never felt so ripped off in my life. I use my galaxy nexus the most. And my third generation ipad gets used for development. It used to be the flagship product for smoothness experience, but jelly bean on my gnex is without question snappier and smoother overall. Still in love with ipad due to the quality of the display and the sheer vast number of active batch sprites tha can be rendered on the screen at once. My app Animate2D running on ipad can achieve 4000 actively updating sprites at 60 fps without bogging down. Galaxy nexus 800. But the display on g nex is lovely too with deep true black from amoled technology. Thought the quality dimishes with brightness reduced and at full bright very hard to see in full daylight if at all.

#5 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9090

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I just use an old-school cell phone.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#6 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7426

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I've a Samsung Galaxy S phone, a Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet and a iPod Touch (oldest of the 3 devices) and use all 3 on a daily basis.

Ask again in a few months and that'll probably change to a Windows Phone 8 device instead of the Galaxy S phone however...

#7 Animate2D   Members   -  Reputation: 182

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Cool i've wanted to start using win 7.5 and 8 but the game engine i'm using doesnt support it. Early mover iOS fart apps like ant smasher created millions in revenues. So with a not so crowded app store, visibilty should be easier.

I'm also intrigued by nokia screen technology with respect to anti glare/ reflection, visibility during daylight, camera and sound quality through speakers. Too bad nokia decided to be soley a windows phone maker. Bad exec politics to say the least (CEO is an ex-microsoft exec). Android suffers as a result. They make a quality phone.

#8 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1725

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

What engine are you using? Adobe Air lets you target Android and iOS but not Windows Phone yet, but that should be coming early next year. Unity works on WP8.

#9 Animate2D   Members   -  Reputation: 182

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm using WiEngine C++ api which allows me to target windows 7, android, iOS, and mac os X. I've played an adobe air game before and to stay the least suffers from many performance issues causing it to miss events and jerk like crazy on both Android and iOS. But things could be different now with adobe air.

#10 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1725

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'm using WiEngine C++ api which allows me to target windows 7, android, iOS, and mac os X. I've played an adobe air game before and to stay the least suffers from many performance issues causing it to miss events and jerk like crazy on both Android and iOS. But things could be different now with adobe air.

Yup. They have graphic card acceleration now, so things are much smoother.

#11 brx   Members   -  Reputation: 720

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Cool.. android is dominating so far. Quite unexpected from my side.

Not from my side, to be honest... At our company ALL developers have an Android phone. ALL buisiness people have an iPhone. So first of all, which kind of people do you expect to answer here? And second... doesn't that say something....(those who DO go Android, those who TALK go Apple)?

Yeah... I'm not too fond of "buisiness caspers" ;)

#12 recompile   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

At our company ALL developers have an Android phone. ALL buisiness people have an iPhone.

Different places, different demographics, I guess. Here, iPhones are popular with women and teens, BlackBerry still rules the business world, and Android, with the lions share, fills in the gaps. Feature phones are vanishing at an alarming rate, faster than I expected. I can't prefix any category with "ALL", however.

Personally, I still prefer my BlackBerry. I've made QNX PBOS / BB10 my platform of choice as far as my game development hobby goes. I'm going to guess that puts me in a very tiny minority here, but that's okay.

#13 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3949

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I am planning to get an android phone with my next upgrade, but at the moment i'm an iPhone guy.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#14 Animate2D   Members   -  Reputation: 182

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

I've heard that before about the QNX platform. I have no experience with it at all but heard that it is a wonderful platform from the folks that brought us cut the rope.

#15 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14027

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

I dislike them both, but I am not going to put myself through Android development hell (especially with Tegra 2 lurking out there (nightmares)) so I only target (and thus own) iOS.
And I had a dream last night in which someone stepped on it and cracked the screen and then refused to buy me another.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#16 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 1025

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I only own an Android it's a Kindle Fire and I love it because I flashed Android 4.0 to it. But people in my family have iOS stuff and I've used both and liked both. As far as the Android platform vs iOS though, I have to pick Android as my favorite to use. I can do more with it. It's open and I can hack it to do what I want more easily, in fact I have Ubuntu running on my Kindle Fire also.

@L. Spiro I don't know why everyone hates Android development. The libraries are awesome and the whole hardware fragmentation thing isn't too much different from what we have to deal with on Windows.

#17 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19068

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

The libraries are awesome and the whole hardware fragmentation thing isn't too much different from what we have to deal with on Windows.

Hardware fragmentation is much less of a problem on Windows thanks to the significantly higher capabilities than those found on Android devices. You have to deal with a huge variety of different resolutions, screen sizes and capabilities, and a lot of the differences are poorly documented. An application might run perfectly on your test device but very poorly on others and not at all on some.

When compared to the much more limited range of iOS devices it's a real nightmare.

#18 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

I just use an old-school cell phone.

My phone is a T9 something or other from LG. But, I also have an HTC Evo that I use sometimes without a phone connection. My wife has a Galaxy Exhibit, I think, and I also have a Nexus 7.

So far, I like the Nexus 7, but I don't love it. It seems to be good for drawing pixel art, though.

#19 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8597

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

You damn kids take your Eye Phones or Ear Phones or whatever the heck they are, and get off my lawn!

#20 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14027

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

@L. Spiro I don't know why everyone hates Android development. The libraries are awesome and the whole hardware fragmentation thing isn't too much different from what we have to deal with on Windows.

2 words: Native Development.
My engine is cross-platform, hence not Java.
There is crap support for native apps for Android devices. We don’t even get breakpoints. Debug with ::printf() only! It builds character!
And then there is Tegra 2, whose GPU is riddled with faulty OpenGL ES 2.0 implementation points. However portable you think your shaders are, they don’t work on Tegra 2 out-of-the-box.

It’s just a nightmare to which I refuse to subject myself. Google hates people who develop for Android.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 01 November 2012 - 09:58 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS