• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

10 steps to becoming a better programmer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 wildbunny   Members   -  Reputation: 550

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Hi guys,

Just written this article that you might find useful; 10 things which have helped me become a better programmer and be more productive in general:

http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2012/11/01/10-steps-to-becoming-a-better-programmer/

Hope it helps!

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsor:

#2 phil67rpg   Members   -  Reputation: 767

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

thank you for posting this link, I am a newbie programmer and this helps a great deal.

#3 CJ_COIMBRA   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 833

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Usefull steps!

#4 superman3275   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2061

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I just saw this on /r/gamedev on reddit.com! Posting to many sites I see Posted Image!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja ph34r.png!

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here smile.png!

#5 Pash   Members   -  Reputation: 246

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Nice work!

You know ive spent many years scripting more than OO programming and it's amazing how this sort of thinking applys to that also.

muchas gracias senor
Please Add Rep if I helped // Working on untitled 2D platformer (more to come soon)
Twitter - @MarkPashby

#6 rnlf   Members   -  Reputation: 1185

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

Nice article, it sums up my personal attitude quite precisely. Concerning #11, I'd suggest pointing out that choosing adequate data structures and algorithms is not what is meant with premature optimization, can in fact produce much better results than any kind of local optimization and may reduce time wasted on refactoring the stuff later on...

my blog (German)

#7 Josh Petrie   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3888

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Moving to YA.

Josh Petrie | Game Developer, Undead Labs

#8 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Question. Shouldn't that article be written/posted here as well? Posted Image

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 02 November 2012 - 10:02 AM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#9 Caffeware   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Thank you sir.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS