• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Do we need anisotropic filtering for MagFilter?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 jerrycao_1985   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

hi all

the question is as title.

I think it won't make much difference to use anisotropic filtering than linear filtering. of course , we're talking about magfilter here.

Is that true??

Edited by jerrycao_1985, 01 November 2012 - 11:53 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11585

2Likes

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Anisotropic filtering is only applicable for minification.

#3 jerrycao_1985   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

I've tried to set magfilter to D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC and used GetSamplerState to get it back , it returned me D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC.
It seems that anisotropic is applicable for magnification.
And in the DX official doc , there is no mentioning that Anisotropic is not applicable for magnification.

#4 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8141

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

My understanding is that if you want to use a max anisotropy greater than 1 you do have to set D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC for both min and mag, but that it's invalid for use with mip.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#5 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11585

1Likes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I've tried to set magfilter to D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC and used GetSamplerState to get it back , it returned me D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC.
And in the DX official doc , there is no mentioning that Anisotropic is not applicable for magnification.

There is no GPU that supports anisotropic filtering for magnification. Go ahead and check your D3DPTFILTERCAPS_MAGFANISOTROPIC cap under TextureFilterCaps: I bet you a hundred bucks that your GPU doesn't support it. The API will let you set ANISOTROPIC as the mag filter, but the device will silently revert back to LINEAR filtering. In fact the debug runtimes might even tell you when this happens but I don't remember, since it's been a long time since I worked with D3D9.

Edited by MJP, 05 November 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#6 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8141

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

There is no GPU that supports anisotropic filtering for magnification. Go ahead and check your D3DPTFILTERCAPS_MAGFANISOTROPIC cap under TextureFilterCaps: I bet you a hundred bucks that your GPU doesn't support it. The API will let you set ANISOTROPIC as the mag filter, but the device will silently revert back to LINEAR filtering. In fact the debug runtimes might even tell you when this happens but I don't remember, since it's been a long time since I worked with D3D9.

Confrmed for me, which also makes the documentation for D3DTEXTUREFILTERTYPE interestingly misleading.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#7 jerrycao_1985   Members   -  Reputation: 140

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Confrmed for me, which also makes the documentation for D3DTEXTUREFILTERTYPE interestingly misleading.

The most misleading part is not the doc. It's code.
when I tried to set and get the magfilter in DX retail mode, nothing goes wrong.......
when I tried to set the magfilter in DX debug mode, it returns an error......

And MJP is right. But there is no such info telling me that it is reverted, u can find out what the real value is for magfilter by GetSamplerState which is exactly linear.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS