• Create Account

Where to start on Game development for Windows 8 Apps?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 jadsalloum   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

hi all, I am coming back to game development and need to know what happened to DirectX ? is it still used in game development or some other technologies are now the latest ? what do we need to start developing games for windows 8 ? I used to create .X files and use it in my directX games in the past but this was from long time... what is now the procedure to do that ? are they still being used ? Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

2Likes

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

• SharpDX.Toolkit
  • Monogame
  • Unity

Look into those game dev libraries first.
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 pnapieralski   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

The DirectX11.1 API is the primary way of using high performance graphics in a Windows 8 Store game (generally via C++). There is a nice starter kit that handles the compiled mesh object (.cmo) file format (which is automatically created from .fbx, .obj and .dae formats). There is also a sample game built off of the toolkit - though both the sample game and toolkit require DX10 hardware or above.

Starter kit - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Visual-Studio-3D-Starter-455a15f1
Sample Hanoi 3D game - http://hanoi3d.codeplex.com/

If you want more control (and don't want to rely on the starter kit), I'd recommend starting with the DirectX template that comes with Visual Studio 2012. There are also a plethora of talks on channel9.msdn.com from the //Build conference this year and last year that you can check out to learn more.

Edited by pnapieralski, 05 November 2012 - 11:12 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS