• Create Account

How do I keep enemies from walking over each other?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 storm33229   Members   -  Reputation: 125

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

How do I keep enemies from walking over each other? If I look at games like Torchlight, Diablo, etc. where there is clear view of the surrounding monsters, I notice that the enemies never walk over each other. I have just implemented the Simple Path scripts in my Unity3D game, but I want to make it so that my enemies do not ever occupy the same space. I cannot simply enable physics collisions; this would result in enemies potentially getting stuck. What is the most common way of achieving enemy/obstacle avoidance while correctly path finding?

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm confused as to why they would be stuck. Wouldn't the solution be to have the NPC/enemy change direction when they run into something that is not the player?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 IADaveMark   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2326

3Likes

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Steering
Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC

Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Co-founder of the AI Game Programmers Guild
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS