• Create Account

Math question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 DmitryNik   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hello.

Recently I found an interesting assignment. I did it almost 2 years ago and some how I figured out how to do it then. But not now. Could anybody, please, explain me, why this particular problem was solved with a help of the dot product? See problem below.

We have a line l=[0, 1, 2] + a*[-3, 4, 7], which is perpendicular to the plane W. Also plane W contains the point Q=[3, 5, -3]. We have to find the equation of the plane W.

The solution was: const = dot_product([-3, 4, 7], [3,5,-3]) => W's equation is -3x + 4y + 7z = const.

Problem is, I can't remember, what I was thinking of back to those days. I need to understand this solution for solving one problem in the game.
I'll repeat the question here once again:

Could anybody, please, explain me, why this particular problem was solved with a help of the dot product?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9540

1Likes

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

If -3x + 4y + 7z = const is the equation for the plane, then this equation must be true for every point on the plane. Q is a point on the plane so -3*3 + 4*5 + 7*-3 = const must be true. -3*3 + 4*5 + 7*-3 is the same as (-3, 4, 7)·(3, 5, -3).

#3 DmitryNik   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

If -3x + 4y + 7z = const is the equation for the plane, then this equation must be true for every point on the plane. Q is a point on the plane so -3*3 + 4*5 + 7*-3 = const must be true. -3*3 + 4*5 + 7*-3 is the same as (-3, 4, 7)·(3, 5, -3).

Thank you. You helped me. I guess, I have to read my old notes through more carefully =)

#4 incertia   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 777

0Likes

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

A normal vector is perpendicular to all vectors in a plane. Now let be a point on the plane. We can now form a vector on the plane with . For this vector to be perpendicular to the normal vector (given by the line), their dot product must equal 0. So we have:

Distributing the dot product yields

And expanding yields

what

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS