• Create Account

AI approach for a Virtual Pet / Tamagotchi-like game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 xynapse   Members   -  Reputation: 151

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

I am thinking about developing something small but 'intelligent' in free time.
Everybody knows 'Tamagotchi' series, 'Virtual pet' clones and so on - they all share one common thing:

you get an egg from which:
  • your pet borns,
  • then you need to take care of him (turn off the light to force him to sleep, feed him, cure him, play with him)
  • your pet grows
  • and grows
  • and finally dies.
States can be programmed within a single FSM, but what about the pet moving within those states?
What should decide what state the pet is besides the human intervention ( like forcing pet to go to sleep ).

Let's imagine a situation where a pet is born, it gets some default/randomly generated stats.
Now i could easily hardcode something like:

if(m_fHunger > 50) FSM->ChangeState(PetHungryState::Instance())

But that is something i want to avoid.

It can be very easy and predictable like for kids, on the other hand it can be very challenging and 'intelligent' if i choose the right approach from the beggining, and i am targetting the second option here.

I would like it to be unpredictable but intelligent, behaviouristic, AI driven.

So my question to you guys is: what kind of AI approach should i choose / algorithm / technology to make it a small but fascinating project ?
What can be managed by correctly choosen AI and what has to be managed by a code ?

Thanks very much!

Edited by xynapse, 05 November 2012 - 09:25 AM.

perfection.is.the.key

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS