• Create Account

JMonkey vs Panda 3d & general game dev questions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 AshleyT   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hey guys,

Project(Without going into too much depth) First person view of a world. The idea is to be able to walk around a home/environment and interact with it(turn lights on and off etc). I want it be be a similator type thing. I have until end of Febuary to create a prototype of this.

My background
So, i'm in my 4th year at University doing Computer Science and i've been a java programmer for a while so know the language quite well. Python I have minimal experience with but i'm sure it won't take me long to learn.
I have minimal experience with creating games beyong basic 2d graphics (and not used an engine before).

Choice
Now, i'm stuck choosing between Panda 3D and JMonkey - if you have other suggestions please feel free to express. The reason i've chosen these two is mostly because I do not know C++ and I think within the time constraints of 4 months it would be unrealistic to learn the language well and use it (again however if I see mass benefits of doing so i'll plough the hours away). If I can get a prototype up by Febuary I can re-program in C++ over the summer for a final deadline in September.

So far i've done lots of reading on the two engines and trying to find good comparisons, my main reason for wanting to choose Panda 3D is mostly because i'm aware of how rapid python development is but because I do not have much experience I feel inadequate to make an informed choice between the two.

Would JMonkey/Panda 3d suffice to create my project?
Are there any limitations you could see that I may run into with choosing either?
Which one would you recommend?
Do you think this reasonable to create within the time frame? And what parts would be the most time consuming (atm from what i've gathered, creating models to import into the game would probably be the thing that took up most of my time)
Also does anyone know of any good general beginners guide to game dev? Everything I find on this site seems to be very specific (lighting, cameras, etc)
Also how much harder is it to create a first person vs third person game?

Thank-you very much Posted Image. Sorry if i'm asking obvious questions.

Edited by AshleyT, 05 November 2012 - 05:07 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 AshleyT   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Anyone possible to give anything towards any of the questions I have? Would really appreciate it? Anything at all lol...

#3 tufflax   Members   -  Reputation: 473

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hey guys,

Project(Without going into too much depth) First person view of a world. The idea is to be able to walk around a home/environment and interact with it(turn lights on and off etc). I want it be be a similator type thing. I have until end of Febuary to create a prototype of this.

My background
So, i'm in my 4th year at University doing Computer Science and i've been a java programmer for a while so know the language quite well. Python I have minimal experience with but i'm sure it won't take me long to learn.
I have minimal experience with creating games beyong basic 2d graphics (and not used an engine before).

Choice
Now, i'm stuck choosing between Panda 3D and JMonkey - if you have other suggestions please feel free to express. The reason i've chosen these two is mostly because I do not know C++ and I think within the time constraints of 4 months it would be unrealistic to learn the language well and use it (again however if I see mass benefits of doing so i'll plough the hours away). If I can get a prototype up by Febuary I can re-program in C++ over the summer for a final deadline in September.

So far i've done lots of reading on the two engines and trying to find good comparisons, my main reason for wanting to choose Panda 3D is mostly because i'm aware of how rapid python development is but because I do not have much experience I feel inadequate to make an informed choice between the two.

Stay away from C++ unless you really want to learn it. It will suck your time and will to live away. Python on the other hand is really easy to learn, takes about 2 afternoons.

Would JMonkey/Panda 3d suffice to create my project?

Yes, either is fine.

Are there any limitations you could see that I may run into with choosing either?

Not really.

Which one would you recommend?

Not sure, depends on language (Python or Java (or something else that runs on the JVM)) mostly I guess.

Do you think this reasonable to create within the time frame? And what parts would be the most time consuming (atm from what i've gathered, creating models to import into the game would probably be the thing that took up most of my time)

Hard to say. It depends on what you wanna do. If it's a simple prototype then yes.

Also does anyone know of any good general beginners guide to game dev? Everything I find on this site seems to be very specific (lighting, cameras, etc)

Should be easy to find by searching here or Google.

Also how much harder is it to create a first person vs third person game?

Not much harder. I mean, just the perspective makes like no difference in a 3d engine.

Thank-you very much Posted Image. Sorry if i'm asking obvious questions.

Try Python first, and if you like it (I did, coming from Java) go with Panda3d. It honestly does not take more than 3 days to learn if you know Java. Else stick to Java and JMonkey. And then just go for it.

Edited by tufflax, 06 November 2012 - 06:05 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS