• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Simple 3D model loader DirectX 11

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 785

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Does someone have a simple model loader that works with DirectX 11?

I tried working with assimp but I failed,mostly because I'm not such an expert in meshes yet and because all source codes are using directx 9.

So does anyone have a simple 3d model loader that works with dx 11?

Sponsor:

#2 lomateron   Members   -  Reputation: 363

-1Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

I just made the simplest model loader

Code that creates the file with the mesh

[source lang="java"]#include <stdio.h>#include <d3dx10math.h>int main (){ FILE * pFile;D3DXVECTOR3 vertices[] ={{ D3DXVECTOR3( 1.0f,1.0f,1.0f )},{ D3DXVECTOR3( 1.0f,1.0f,1.0f )},{ D3DXVECTOR3( 1.0f,1.0f,1.0f )},};DWORD indices[] ={ 0,1,2,}; pFile = fopen ( "myfile.bin" , "wb" ); fwrite (vertices , 1 , sizeof(vertices) , pFile ); fwrite (indices , 1 , sizeof(indices) , pFile ); fclose (pFile); return 0;}[/source]
Code that loads the file with the mesh

[source lang="java"] FILE * pFile; pFile = fopen ( "myfile.bin" , "rb" ); D3DXVECTOR3 vertices[3]; fread (vertices,sizeof(vertices),1,pFile); DWORD indices[3]; fread (indicess,sizeof(indices),1,pFile); fclose (pFile);[/source]

Edited by lomateron, 06 November 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#3 noatom   Members   -  Reputation: 785

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

this is directx 11 not 10.In directx 11 we don't have meshes....if it would be that easy...

#4 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8175

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Specifically we don't have the .x format, but "mesh" is a generic description of any triangle model format and there's absolutely nothing to stop you using any other format you like in D3D11. You could probably even hack up a basic .x binary loader for 11 if you were so inclined.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#5 Such1   Members   -  Reputation: 435

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I suggest you to use the FBX SDK to load a FBX file and convert it into your own custom format, because the FBX file takes too long to load.
If you want I can give you some help with the FBX SDK.

#6 simpler   Members   -  Reputation: 913

1Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'm using Assimp and it's working great! The hardest part is to import animated models and extracting the skinning data from the aiScene object. But just loading static models is really simple, here's how I do it:

[source lang="cpp"]//! Loads and returns a static model from a file.StaticModel* ModelImporter::LoadStaticModel(string filename){ // Is the model already loaded? if(mStaticModelMap.find(filename) != mStaticModelMap.end()) return mStaticModelMap[filename]; Assimp::Importer importer; mFilename = filename; StaticModel* model = NULL; // Important! Makes sure that if the angle between two face normals is > 80 they are not smoothed together. // Since the angle between a cubes face normals is 90 the lighting looks very bad if we don't specify this. importer.SetPropertyFloat(AI_CONFIG_PP_GSN_MAX_SMOOTHING_ANGLE, 80.0f); importer.SetPropertyInteger(AI_CONFIG_IMPORT_TER_MAKE_UVS, 1); importer.SetPropertyInteger(AI_CONFIG_PP_SBP_REMOVE, aiPrimitiveType_LINE); // Load scene from the file. const aiScene* scene = importer.ReadFile(filename, aiProcess_CalcTangentSpace | aiProcess_Triangulate | aiProcess_GenSmoothNormals | aiProcess_SplitLargeMeshes | aiProcess_ConvertToLeftHanded | aiProcess_SortByPType); // Successfully loaded the scene. if(scene) { // Create the model that is getting filled out. model = new StaticModel(); // Loop through all meshes. for(int i = 0; i < scene->mNumMeshes; i++) { aiMesh* assimpMesh = scene->mMeshes[i]; vector<Vertex> vertices; vector<UINT> indices; // Add vertices to the vertex list. for(int i = 0; i < assimpMesh->mNumVertices; i++) { aiVector3D v = assimpMesh->mVertices[i]; aiVector3D n = assimpMesh->mNormals[i]; aiVector3D t = aiVector3D(0, 0, 0); if(assimpMesh->HasTextureCoords(0)) t = assimpMesh->mTextureCoords[0][i]; n = n.Normalize(); Vertex vertex(v.x, v.y, v.z, n.x, n.y, n.z, 0, 0, 0, t.x, t.y); vertices.push_back(vertex); } // Add indices to the index list. for(int i = 0; i < assimpMesh->mNumFaces; i++) for(int j = 0; j < assimpMesh->mFaces[i].mNumIndices; j++) indices.push_back(assimpMesh->mFaces[i].mIndices[j]); } } ...}[/source]

I recommend going through the source code for AssimpView, everything you need to know is there. Also, this made it a lot easier to get the animations up and running. It basicly takes care of calculating the final transforms at a given time, really convenient. And if you want to then take a look at my github repository for my graphics library, all the code that has to do with Assimp and model loading is located in this file: https://github.com/s...delImporter.cpp

Good luck!

#7 lomateron   Members   -  Reputation: 363

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

what do you mean with directx doesnt has mesh, to create a vertex or index buffer in directx 11 you do this

InitData.pSysMem = indices;
g_pd3dDevice->CreateBuffer( &bd, &InitData, &g_pIndexBuffer )

thats the same in directx 10.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS