• Create Account

Camera Glow Shader

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 mauro78   Members   -  Reputation: 187

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hi All,

I really want to add an effect like this to our 3D Engine:

Posted Image

This is the so-called Mental Ray "Camera Glow Shader". We want it to apply such effects to some objects we have in the level.
Any idea/guideline about implement this?

Regards

Mauro
Ion6

Sponsor:

#2 gfxgangsta   Members   -  Reputation: 550

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Depending on a number of things, like which objects you want the effect on, and how close you can get to those objects, you might be able to get away with a simple hack like using a quad with alpha that represents the glow. If you can't get away with a simple trick like that, you can search for "Bloom" or "Bloom Shader".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_(shader_effect)

Edited by gfxgangsta, 06 November 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#3 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6977

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

If you want excatly this effect, a simple bloom will not do it. A bloom filter would have a more equal distribution of the light bleeding. In your example the vertical effect is much larger than the horizontal effect. It is hard to beat mental ray with a real time shader, but if just want some light bleeding, then bloom is the way to go.

#4 mauro78   Members   -  Reputation: 187

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Thx guys I'll try this way......just an early test

Posted Image

I'll test different shape and blur parameters...

Edited by mauro78, 07 November 2012 - 04:18 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS