• Create Account

Movies that should've been games.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hey guys, I've been wanting to start this for a while, I just kept putting it off until now. Anyway, what are some great movies that you think should've been games?
I'll start it off:
Taken- Talk about a killer combat system.
Hatfields and Mccoys

Sponsor:

#2 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30349

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Death race (2008) - the race even has typical video game rules, like power-ups that you drive over!

#3 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Death race (2008) - the race even has typical video game rules, like power-ups that you drive over!

I agree!

#4 DaveTroyer   Members   -  Reputation: 1052

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I agree!

I agree as well, gentlemen!

Hows about these ones...
- a point and click adventure game based on The Big Lebowski
- survival horror based on Ravenous
- sandbox/GTA-clone game based on Idiocracy

I would play those games! Posted Image

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

#5 achild   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1784

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

The Book of Eli!

#6 dakota.potts   Members   -  Reputation: 455

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Battle: Los Angeles. A surprisingly good story. Given the problem is all over the globe and it has a vague ending, I could see missions taking place in places all over the world. There are certainly enough enemy types and objectives (like protecting civilians) to take into consideration.

#7 Paul Franzen   Members   -  Reputation: 334

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

As perhaps the Internet's only fan of the LEGO games, I would've loved to see a LEGO Back to the Future game--although now that we've had Telltale's excellent Back to the Future adventure game, it's lost some of its luster for me.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

#8 Heath   Members   -  Reputation: 344

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Memento!

#9 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3883

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

inception, although a great movie, i think it'd be an interesting game as well.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#10 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2822

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

Death Race isn't that far from Death Rally the game... When I saw it first, I thought there was a connection, but I don't think there is...

Otherwise, I often think about how much action movies scripts today feel like writing for games.
Almost all of them. You have linear chases through specific environments, minions to slay and then minibosses and end fights, mixed with some "cut scenes" with character development.

Feels like there somewhere in the corporate mind is the thought that this might be converted to a game later.

#11 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1517

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I agree!

I don't know - the original Death Race (1975) had a more video game feel to it.

They actually did make a video game out of it - sort of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLI6AQUMElo

My pick for movie to game conversion would be Battle Royal (2000) .
Trying to survive on an island with random weapons, while all your classmates are trying to kill you, would make for an interesting FPS or even adventure / strategy / survival game.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#12 Yrjö P.   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1412

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

When I watched the new Star Wars episodes - especially II, I think? - in many sections I felt like an action scene was dropped in and/or prolonged in a way that would make sense for an action videogame, but was pointless for a movie.

Regarding Battle Royale, you could make a different game that takes mechanical ideas from the movie (survival in a sandbox world with zones turning into no-go zones and back) but making "Battle Royale - The Videogame" would be a bad idea. The movie's official tagline, "Have you ever killed your best friend?" pretty much sums up what it's about. Characters, psychology, and feelings - exactly the things a videogame is incapable of. The action and the plot, on the other hand, are not important to BR.

Edited by Stroppy Katamari, 10 November 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#13 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3883

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

pretty much sums up what it's about. Characters, psychology, and feelings - exactly the things a videogame is incapable of. The action and the plot, on the other hand, are not important to BR.

I wouldn't say incapable, just extremly difficult to convey, for example FFVII gave me quite the emotional attachment to the death of aeries.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#14 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30349

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

The movie's official tagline, "Have you ever killed your best friend?" pretty much sums up what it's about. Characters, psychology, and feelings - exactly the things a videogame is incapable of.

I've been brought to the edge of tears by singleplayer game storylines just as with film storylines. It's not common for games to be as well executed as films, but it's not impossible.

Also, DayZ plays a lot like Battle Royale - you're stuck on an island scavenging and killing for supplies. You're able to befriend other people that you find, but never able to trust them. The gameplay is all about psychology, and after playing a perma-death character for 12 hours in a killing field, it can conjure up some intense feelings too.
e.g. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/56-dayz-stories/page__st__640#entry279936

If battle royale was done well -- so that the game version was still about psychology and trust and betrayal, it would be an absolutely amazing game... but yes, if it were just a regular deathmatch shooter, it would be mediocre.

#15 game of thought   Members   -  Reputation: 212

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Battle: Los Angeles. A surprisingly good story. Given the problem is all over the globe and it has a vague ending, I could see missions taking place in places all over the world. There are certainly enough enemy types and objectives (like protecting civilians) to take into consideration.

There was one on xbla

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS