• Create Account

TcpListener won't accept connections

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Theis_Bane   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have two PCs: a desktop and a laptop. Both are running Windows 7. I've written a very basic class library that contains two classes designed around sending and receiving a simple string across the Interwebs. Now, the code within these classes isn't the problem. I know this because I've tested it and it works perfectly. Well, half perfectly.

I copied the library onto both my desktop and laptop and built a very simple console program on both ends for testing. When I set up my desktop as the server and my laptop as the client, the program ran perfectly. I will say this though. When I ran the program for the first time, Windows notified me about VSHOST.EXE and asked me if I wanted to allow it, which I did. Now, when I switched it, running the exact same programs but on opposite computers, my desktop (the client) couldn't form a connection, eventually giving me an 'Error 10060'. Curiously enough, when I ran the server program on my laptop for the first time, Windows didn't ask if I wanted to allow VSHOST.EXE.

Is Windows security preventing incoming connections? And, if it is, how can I ensure that any of my distributed applications won't suffer from this same problem? I plan on having each client also be a listener to listen for random updates (unless there is a better way to do this).

A little more info: The important Listener code
private TcpListener Listener;
Listener = new TcpLIstener(IPAddress.Any, 4040);
Listener.Start();
TcpClient Client = Listener.AcceptTcpClient(); <-Pretty sure the listener isn't making it past this point

Important Client code
public string IP; //pass an IP Address or hostname to this
TcpClient Client = new TcpClient();
IPostEntry Host = Dns.GetHostEntry(IP);
var Address = (from h in Host.AddressList
where h.AddressFamily == AddressFamily.InterNetwork
select h).First();
Client.Connect(Address.ToString(), Port);

try
{
NetworkStream ClientStream = Client.GetStream();
byte[] InfoBuffer = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes(Info);
ClientStream.Write(InfoBuffer, 0, InfoBuffer.Length);

ClientStream.Close();
}
finally
{
Client.Close();
}

Sponsor:

#2 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 708

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

Well "Listener.AcceptTcpClient(); <-Pretty sure the listener isn't making it past this point" does block until a connection request is received.
Your sending/receiving code also looks fine
It looks like a firewall is just blocking the connection, just look at firewall settings, i don't think you really can make sure your program will work though a firewall, especially if its listening for a connection, after all that's what they are designed for right?

Edited by Xanather, 07 November 2012 - 06:31 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS