• Create Account

beginning C++ game programming

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#1 patisake   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

What do you people think of this book as a beginner?

Anyone know a good book to start learning C++?

This is the link to the book

http://www.powells.com/biblio/62-9781592002054-0

Sponsor:

#2 J. Evola's Apprentice   Members   -  Reputation: 307

10Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

patisake: "beginning game programming" books are generally crap. Learn C++ from Stroustrup's book.

#3 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2827

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Or from the standford free videos see this link http://see.stanford.edu/see/lecturelist.aspx?coll=2d712634-2bf1-4b55-9a3a-ca9d470755ee
Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#4 patisake   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

is this also for beginners stroustrup's book?is there a link for getting it free online?

#5 patisake   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

what do you find the best if I want in the future go for 3d games pc and console?? C++ or java?

#6 tufflax   Members   -  Reputation: 498

3Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

what do you find the best if I want in the future go for 3d games pc and console?? C++ or java?

It doesn't matter so much. You will probably need years of experience before you can make the games you want to make. And in that time you can and should learn a few different languages. I'd say start with Python, because it is way easier to get started with. If you like programming at all you can learn a new language later, when you know more.

#7 patisake   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Are there some good python tutorials for beginning or free ebooks?
what are the advantage of python language?

#8 tufflax   Members   -  Reputation: 498

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I haven't read it, but there is this book: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/ which seems nice.

The advantages of Python is that it is easy to learn, and that there is an interactive interpreter for it. That means that you can type in experssions and statements into the interpreter and have it execute them immediately and show you the result, so you can try things out and get feedback instantly. It is also a bit more high-level than C and Java, etc. so you can get more done in less time and with less code.

#9 patisake   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I heard that some game engine and animation software for game devolpment use python..is this correct?

#10 patisake   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

and what is the difference between ruby program language and python?

#11 Anri   Members   -  Reputation: 597

-1Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I would just buy a book that covers C++ alone such as SAM's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days.

How long should you spend learning your first language before moving on to games development? About six months to a year. Seriously, the more you know your language going into games development the easier it will be.

#12 EddieV223   Members   -  Reputation: 1406

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Amazingly detailed beginner video series http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1D10C030FDCE7CE0
It goes into advanced stuff too.

Also check out 3dbuzz.com
and
gameinstitute.com

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.1 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.1 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

#13 tufflax   Members   -  Reputation: 498

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

and what is the difference between ruby program language and python?

Not that much. Just pick something and start already!

#14 AllEightUp   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4212

3Likes

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

If I had a do over, I'd start with a simple C book in order to learn the basics of the language "before" adding the ++ bit to it. Unfortunately such books are becoming less available as everything is C++ now. Learning C++ requires taking bite sized bits at a time, learning the underlying C language is a great start and even though it has some unnecessary work involved, which C++ removes, the logic is often best learned in a more restrictive language. Unfortunately the due to such early language restrictions you have to "unlearn" a couple items when you transition to C++ properly..

An example of the C versus C++ issue. In C you are required to declare all variables in the current scope, defined or not prior to any code. (Any variable with a definition is considered "code", so has to come after pure declarations: i.e. "int a=0;" is a definition where "int a;" is just a declaration) in C+++ you can define new variables at any point. There are arguments for both cases but I personally prefer to keep declaration, definition and use as close as possible in the text files, so I prefer the C++ standard.

As to all the learn XYZ because they are better, more used etc. In certain contexts all such comments are probably true. If I want to program web pages, I'll use Java script, if I want to generate web pages from templates with DB integration, I'd probably use Lua on Rails, Python and Drupal are pretty popular, etc etc etc etc etc..... But for generic everyday no specific target, I will use C/C++ every time.

#15 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1395

0Likes

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Ive read beginning c++ game programming by Micheal Dawson. Its an awesome book for learning c++. You learn C++ and make cool text games. The way he explains the concepts are clear and concise. Its a good book, trust me. Read it and you wont regret it.
Infact its so good, when i read it I finally understood copy constructors. My humongous c++ textbook couldnt explain it, but this book made it
simple to understand. read it and couple it with a good set of c++ youtube tutorials ( I personally recommend thenewboston tutorials for c+=) and you will be all set to make simple games using sdl/sfml later on

Edited by ISDCaptain01, 08 November 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#16 Yrjö P.   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1412

0Likes

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

patisake: "beginning game programming" books are generally crap. Learn C++ from Stroustrup's book.

Yep, and specifically Stroustrup's Programming: Principles and Practice which is aimed at beginners. If you just say "Stroustrup's book", a lot of people will be thinking about The C++ Programming Language which is not for beginners.

Beginners' book here: http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

Another good book - but probably too dense for a total newbie - is Accelerated C++.

That said: even with the best material, C++ is not a great place to start.

#17 patisake   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

I have the e-book from michael dawson beginning c++ game programming but not the cd due to an ebook..anyone know where I can find the contence of the cd rom?

#18 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1395

0Likes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

you can get it from course ptr website

#19 patisake   Members   -  Reputation: 107

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

which website?is it free?

#20 Slider_SLO   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

If I had a do over, I'd start with a simple C book in order to learn the basics of the language "before" adding the ++ bit to it. Unfortunately such books are becoming less available as everything is C++ now. Learning C++ requires taking bite sized bits at a time, learning the underlying C language is a great start and even though it has some unnecessary work involved, which C++ removes, the logic is often best learned in a more restrictive language. Unfortunately the due to such early language restrictions you have to "unlearn" a couple items when you transition to C++ properly..

An example of the C versus C++ issue. In C you are required to declare all variables in the current scope, defined or not prior to any code. (Any variable with a definition is considered "code", so has to come after pure declarations: i.e. "int a=0;" is a definition where "int a;" is just a declaration) in C+++ you can define new variables at any point. There are arguments for both cases but I personally prefer to keep declaration, definition and use as close as possible in the text files, so I prefer the C++ standard.

As to all the learn XYZ because they are better, more used etc. In certain contexts all such comments are probably true. If I want to program web pages, I'll use Java script, if I want to generate web pages from templates with DB integration, I'd probably use Lua on Rails, Python and Drupal are pretty popular, etc etc etc etc etc..... But for generic everyday no specific target, I will use C/C++ every time.

I kinda started with C for dummies imo its a great book that teaches you the basics of C, since i had no prior knowledge in any language it did its job and now i went for SDL .
Im having some problems with SDL dont really know is it the problem that im just too stupid for SDL or just cant get the right tutorial for me...
If anyone knows some easy to understand tutorial for SDL please post... Tnx :P

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS