Cloud Storage - syncing, how does it work?,
Members - Reputation: 813
Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:26 PM
So I turned to looking at DropBox, GoogleDrive and Skydrive. So far I don't like how they force me to move all my files into pre-determined "Cloud Folder" (rather than being able to just add random folders anywhere on my drive) and I dislike the dearth of feedback on what is being synched and when - particularly bad with google which doesn't even tell me the upload/download speed!
However, the automatic synching leads to a few unclear cases - what happens when you modify a file via the web interface AND on a PC without internet, and then enable internet on the PC? Will PC overwrite the cloud, or will the cloud overwrite my PC? What if I modify it on my PC and my laptop and then enable synch on both at the same time?
Similarily, what if I modify the files on the cloud, and then start modifying them on my PC before synch finishes? Obviously I would see "old" files on my PC but when I modify them, will the changes get wiped out as soon as the syncher gets to them, halfway through editing them?
I'm just really paranoid about losing a few hours of work due to the auto-synchers getting confused which file is the "newer" one. Ugh this is kind of why I like SVN/Git better with manual commits and checkouts that solve these issues. They also do a decent job of "merging" files if there are multiple versions at different locations, or at least point out conflicts so you can resolve them manually.
EDIT: this is how I feel about feedback-less auto-synching (NWS)
Members - Reputation: 813
Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:51 PM
* It completely rapes my internet connection. Everything stops to a crawl. Even uploading tons of stuff to my FTP doesn't have that effect
* It does a terrible job of informing you what is being synched when. Only "synching 1 of 59,375". No Estimate time. No download speed. Will it finish in 10 minutes? 10 hours? Mystery!
* The shell sync icons are broken half the time. Right now it tells me all my folders are synced, only when I go in and look at specific files it says they are syncing.
* I deleted a folder on another PC that is on the laptop, and now it has a sync icon on it. Is it re-uploading the deleted folder? Is it deleting it from the laptop (as it should)? Who knows!
* The configuration options are woefully bare; you pretty much cant customize anything.
Pity, as I rather like GoogleDocs :| Might try my DropBox since at least it seemed a bit more transparent/not broken about letting me know when sync finishes.