• Create Account

Advice on Game Concept - (School Assignment)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 D4rkSt4r88   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, but have frequently visited GameDev for a while now. I am a college student, in my fourth year to getting my Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems. For our assignment, we are to post about our game concept that we've been working on for this quarter and get some feedback on the concept and how reasonable our ideas are, especially in terms of the interface.

My game concept is a survival/role-playing game, set in a post-apocalyptic world (I know, how original, right?) Well, I want this game to be based on realism, a game that will put you in an open world, full of groups of bandits formed for mutual protection, and dangerous animals, no mutants and all that junk, remember I'm going for realism. The main story line will be to travel across the country to try and find your daughter/son, while having to sleep, eat, and drink (safe) water and food, otherwise you'll get malnourished and die. You'll also have to gather supplies for weapons, for hunting, and for creating shelter when necessary. There will also be a bartering system, for the few friendly people you'll meet along the way.

Below, I will list three of my concept ideas for you to give your opinion.advice on, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

1. Hunger/Thirst System - Somewhat unique, and I like the idea, but is it plausible, and would it be fun in a game?
2. Create a Shelter - Again, something unique from what I'm aware of, but does it take the simulation too far?
3. Setting traps/hunting - I thought this would mesh well with the hunger/thirst system, what do you think?

Again, thank you for any help, opinions, or suggestions.

Sponsor:

#2 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

It sounds pretty good, I've seen things like this, but not to this extent. You're ideas sounds good. If you can, play dayZ. It has a very good realism system.

#3 D4rkSt4r88   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thanks a lot for the response dtg, I have had this idea in mind since I've wanted to become a game developer, which has been since somewhere around the release of the Sega Genesis. I have always been a huge fan of RPGs and Simulators, so this seems like a good idea to use a little of both, not to mention survival is always fun. Do you think my ideas will be fun to the game, or would it seem too real?

Also, Dayz is the half-life mod game, right? I've seen it around the net I believe, unfortunately, I'm stuck with a decent laptop right now (Desktop fried, thanks GTA 4), but my laptop isn't capable of handling that game if I remember right, what a shame.

#4 dtg108   Members   -  Reputation: 394

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Actually, DayZ is an ARMA 2 mod but if I'm correct, Half-life has less requirements than ARMA. As for your game, I think it's a really good idea, and I would play it. Just remember, in parts that get slow, make it interesting. And violence, everyone loves violence.

#5 D4rkSt4r88   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Agreed. Thanks a lot.

#6 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3111

0Likes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

1. Hunger/Thirst System - Somewhat unique, and I like the idea, but is it plausible, and would it be fun in a game? Yes it is feasible, but I would recommend increasing the hunger and thirst by stages or turns. In other words, the player is at a stage of hunger and thirst for each turn or level of play. What they do each stage will make the condition of their hunger and thirst for the next one. You want realism, yet their is the need to compress time for game play. In real life, it would take many hours and days to see drastic changes, so you need to design the game to account for this by turns, stages, or scenes.
2. Create a Shelter - Again, something unique from what I'm aware of, but does it take the simulation too far? I feel that it should be only needed when no shelter is found, obviously, but I suggest considering that the player has found a portable tent. By the way, a self made shelter would be very vulnerable to attack by bandits, so this seems to contradict the realism aspect of your goals.
3. Setting traps/hunting - I thought this would mesh well with the hunger/thirst system, what do you think? This sounds cool. You might want to consider the traps as being used by bandits for an ambush on the player, which would actually happen in real life if the bandits had any brains. Hunting would be more realistic, I feel.

Survival game sounds like a fun concept. Posted Image

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS